UK - has anyone traded in their old iPhone at an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bounce08, Feb 3, 2016.

1. bounce08 macrumors member

Looking to trade in my launch iPhone 6 16GB Silver at an Apple Store and pay the difference on top for a 6S+ . On the UK Apple Store website it quotes £260 for my phone, which is just for the handset only (I don't need to provide the lightning cable, wall plug, earbuds or box). This means I'll have to pay £350(approx) on top. The £260 seems a fair price - if I sold on eBay I'd probably only get around £300 as it's unboxed (just the phone and charger) and after deducting eBay fees and postage/packing, I'd end up with around £260 anyway.

Has anyone ever traded their phone in to an Apple Store, what was your experience?
    Do I have to wait for the phone to be tested by Apple?
    Can I complete the trade in/purchase the new phone in the same visit?

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That program is utterly ridiculous in Italy.
    My iPhone 6 64 Gb with AppleCare+ was quoted 250€ (out of 839€ initial price !!!).
    I've sold it easily for 530€ !!!!
    And I could have asked a little more....

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here in the US, my 6+ seems to only have a value of 270. We were looking to switch carriers and that's what was being offered as a trade-in. Needless to say, we opted not to go that route.

4. Banquo's Ghost macrumors newbie

I just traded in my iPhone 6+ a couple of days ago, in Exeter.

My experience was perfect. A helpful discussion on options, and the phone was looked at in store by the salesperson and price agreed. They then helped me transfer the SIM, check that the new phone was up and running, downloaded my iCloud backup and re-paired with my Watch. It took up about an hour of our time, and I walked out with an iPhone 6s running smoothly and seamlessly from the phone I'd gone in with.

I've always found the Exeter team to be wonderfully helpful anyway, but it was an excellent customer experience. I also traded in my iPad Air for a new iPad Pro at the same time, though I wanted to set that up myself at home. It's probable I could have got a little more for the kit on eBay, but certainly for the phone I needed to ensure the change over was trouble free, and they made it so.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

How much they quoted your iPhone 6+ ?

6. Leo90 macrumors 6502

I did that with my old iPhone 6 128GB and got a 6S Plus. I got 290 pounds for my old iPhone without lightning cable and wall adapter. It was definitely a fair price compared to what you can get selling through eBay and you dont have any hassle with stupid eBay fees.

7. bounce08 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, seems I won't have any problems.

Exactly the reason I'm doing it this way too, I don't have to list it, pay eBay fees etc. This seems a hassle free option and I'm getting a trade value within £30 of what I'd likely get on eBay anyway.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I think you might get more on sellmymobile website that's who i use

9. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

You sound like an advert for the store. How much did they give you for your phone?

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

you won't get what the website quoted you'll get less. i discovered that last year.

11. robkat macrumors member

robkat

Just traded in iPhone 5 for a 6s in Scotland and got exactly what the web site said.

12. abta1 macrumors 6502

When you use the service on the Apple website, it's clear that they don't really care if you trade in the box, cable, and charger, which makes sense.

I have just tried it with my spare iPhone 6 128GB and was quoted 285Euro (French site). A measly 220GBP. Granted the experience is smooth and you don't have to deal with scammers, no shows, etc., as well as selling fees, but an excellent condition, fully boxed phone with the cable, charger, headphones, as well as over 10 months of warranty (as this phone has), would fetch much higher on the open market.

So I would say that the value of the trade in program is quite situational.

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I've always had good prices for iPhone's from Envirofone, they send you a prepaid box (the prepaid service depends on value of your phone, for an iPhone it would be the special delivery Royal Mail) and you mail it to them and get the money direct into your bank account within a few days. They only want the handset, they don't even care about the condition as long as it works.

Your phone would get you 255.09 right now so it's not too bad.

14. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

No muss, no fuss at the Apple store. Have traded in a 5S and a 6 this way. Other than turning on the old phones they barely looked at them. They swapped out the old SIM cards and helped set up everything up before leaving the store good to go. Whether or not you could get a better price for your old phone is another question.