UK Higher Education Contract: Free 3-year warranty - has anybody had any experience?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ddiogyn, Aug 21, 2009.

1. ddiogyn macrumors member

Hallo,

Has anybody had any experience obtaining a repair with the UK HEC free 3-year student warranty (aka 'Applecare Base Warranty')? Is the process just as efficient as with the standard, paid, Applecare (bar phone support beyond the first year, of course), or is the process longwinded, requiring extra paperwork, etc?

Am undecided whether the 'contract uplift' to standard Applecare is worth it...

2. j.earnshaw macrumors newbie

Do it - Don't hesitate

I got my protection and it was automatically applied when i bought it online. All i did was simply added the applecare to my order and they do the rest - and it is covered when it arrives.

I had to claim on mine as well when my macbook top screen broke the palmrest. I took my macbook to the nearest apple store with a copy of the applecare certificate (emailed to your account once your order is shipped), and that was it... not only did they repair that but they noticed small imperfections on the casing elsewhere and replaced all of that too. It didn't cost me anything and the repairs were perfect. It took 1 day to repair and arrive back in store to collect.

I cannot recommend this highly enough...:):):)

3. ETID macrumors regular

I only heard about this the other day off an ebay guy but supposedly you have to pay for the postage etc but the repair will be done for free under a 3 year HE warranty. If you google it there are quite a few pages about it but seems to be kept quite quiet.

4. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Your comment is in relation to AppleCare in general and doesn't really address the OP's question.

Under the HE Warranty, you get everything that AppleCare offers apart from the phone support. Therefore, if you have any problems with your computer, you can take it to an Apple Store and they will take care of it for you. The uplift isn't really worth the money.

5. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Is three year warranty offered only in UK? I'm currently in Switzerland and it would be slightly cheaper to buy a MBP here; but I don't know about the warranty and they charge full price on AppleCare; not like UK where AC for students is cheaper...

6. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

As far as I know, the three year warranty is something agreed between the UK government and Apple and is designed to make a computer last an entire 3 years of a HE degree. The three year warranty is for Higher Education (universitys) only and not for the Normal Education store (colleges, etc).

7. rileyt macrumors newbie

I just got a MBP 13" for uni.

I was told by the apple salesperson via the phone store that its only for select universities and that my uni is not one of them :mad:

8. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I've not heard that before...

I bought my MBP from the HE online store last week. I have checked the warranty status and it says it's only covered for 12 months (not that I care as it's faulty anyway),, but if my replacement says the same, I'll be on the phone to Apple straight away.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I talked to someone on the Apple chat thing who told me it's 3 years free labour and parts.

So basically if it breaks and you have to post it to them I think you pay for that, but that's it.

10. GolfBravo macrumors newbie

Apple HE warranty

Yes, that is correct.

You need to decide for yourself whether the extra £40 for the HE uplift is worth it or not. How much would it cost you to post it to Apple? Or how much would it cost you to drive to an Apple store/service centre?

Another thing to consider is the resale value - if you're planning to sell you computer in a years time, the full Applecare definitely adds extra value to your computer.

Cheers,
    GB

11. rileyt macrumors newbie

Anyone know who I should contact as I have clearly been ripped!

12. ijyt macrumors member

It applies to all proper UK Universities. It doesn't matter if it's in Kent or Edinburgh, you get 3-years warranty.

But even if you get the 3-year HE warranty, Apple's system will sometimes incorrectly display it as 1-year, which is why the person you talked to on the phone might have said you only get 1-year.

13. rileyt macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I have called apple care and have been on the phone for about an hour.

Long story short, I now have a 3 year warranty :):)

14. paulbeattie87 macrumors regular

The extra £40 or so provides you with telephone support and an uplift from Apple. Without that you have to take the computer to an AASP or Apple Store to get it fixed.

Bought two Mac's under HED but with both of them I purchased the extra warranty, it displays on Apples systems as a custom warranty. Not sure without it, it's not the most expensive addition at the end of the day, plus it gives you telephone support.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have it on my much beloved macbook. All I had to do was to go show a university card at the Apple Store at Regent St. They didn't check it, tho they might have photocopied it - I can't remember - it was nearly 2 years ago.

I paid for the uplift (I think) as I think it makes it easier to sell, though if you ask me, I couldn't say what the uplift is or what it does.

I will be taking my macbook in soon before the 3 years are up to get the cracks in the white polycarb repaired, then will sell it.