UK Higher Education Warranty - warranty status, registration?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ddiogyn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ddiogyn macrumors member

Hallo,

I purchased a MBP from the HE Store on a university-networked computer in order to qualify for the free 3-year Apple Base Warranty. I've checked my warranty status with the self-service tool and it shows only the standard 1-year warranty for this MBP.

I called the Apple HE Store phone number last week and the guy i spoke with checked my university details and said he'd updated the system and that the warranty status would be changed within 24hrs to show the 3-year base warranty.

It's been about a week (and warranty status unchanged) so i called again this morning. This time, the person i spoke with said that the HE base warranty wouldn't show up until the standard warranty period had passed.

Therefore, should i be concerned that my warranty status currently only shows the standard cover, or can i rest assured that the extended warranty will be applied once the year is out?

I also note that on the warranty-checking site there's the option to 'Enrol Higher Education Agreement', but this requires you to fax documents in. I did ask about this but was assured that i didn't need to formally 'apply' for the HE Warranty...

Am quite confused.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just keep the receipt in good condition and don't lost it so you can show them a proof purchase through HE store.

3. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

The problem is, nowhere on any of the online invoices does it state explicitly that the purchase was made via the HE Store or that an HE discount was applicable. Even the discount field is blank (though the HE discount is obviously reflected in the price paid).

I'd rather just get the wrangling out of the way now rather than have to deal with it later should anything go wrong. It concerns me that the Apple HE people insist the warranty should've been automatically applied, while other Apple people believe it is applied after the standard warranty period, while others yet suggest a formal application needs to be submitted :confused:

Is there anybody who's made a HE purchase who could check their online warranty status for me?

Thanks

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Enter your serial number. If it says 3 years, you're good. If not, keep calling until you get someone who understands. If your 1-year warranty expires, you're no longer eligible to use the AppleCare you bought. It's much less trouble to get things straightened out now than it will to convince them to reactivate your warranty in a year's time.

5. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely. It's just quite disheartening having sought advice from 6 different Apple people to still be ignorant about my warranty status. One guy did assure me he'd correct it, but so far it remains as it was.

That's the thing: had money been exchanged i'm sure this issue would've been much more straightforward to resolve... In this case i'm trying to get an acknowledgement of the free 3-year Apple Base Warranty for which i should be eligible under the UK Higher Education Agreement. If i'd known it would be this much of a hassle i'd have paid the 50 quid extra for regular Applecare.

6. ddiogyn thread starter macrumors member

An update:

Filled out the online "higher education agreement registration" form and phoned Applecare to ask if i could email documents instead as i hadn't access to a fax machine. The guy wasn't aware of the higher education warranty so transferred me to the after-sales department.

After much confusion, and being put on hold to confirm the existence of the higher ed agreement base warranty, the after-sales guy informed me that my warranty status would remain as "1 year standard warranty" and that should i require service after this period i should present my web order number as proof of status as a higher education-purchased Macbook. He said that the first guy who i spoke to (last week) who informed me their computer system should show the higher education warranty was actually misinformed and that Apple's warranty database doesn't have an option to acknowledge that an item is covered by the higher education agreement...

So, still not quite satisfied that i have nothing in writing. With any hope my Macbook will never need servicing.