UK: Home secretary [Jacqui Smith] 'set to step down'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 2, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Good. Useless, stupid, clueless twunt.

Now, what other useless, stupid, clueless twunt will replace her? :rolleyes:

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

And don't let the door hit your arse on the way out you money-grubbing authoritarian bitch.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

BYE!

You dried-up gormless self-serving evil bitch.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm detecting a theme...:p

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Glory f*kinhalleloooyah!

As soon as Gordon Brown "officially" denied the rumours you could bet it to be true.

My day is made. :D

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

7. djellison macrumors 68020

Possibly the most incompetent minister this government has yet had. VERY glad to see the back of her. This women wasn't just bad - she was actually nasty and evil.

I'm dreading the result of Thursday voting - I just don't know how the public is going to react.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Meh. Revolving doors. People come and go, policy stays the same, while Gordon Brown dispatches those who may represent a threat from within the Cabinet before the next election. The Prime Minister is rightly concerned that after the predicted disastrous results of upcoming local and EU elections, that the men and women in grey suits will come for him.

There's talk of the chancellor being up for the chop, too. This is just a desperate move for political survival and will represent little change in government policy. No bills passed will be repealed. No changes in ID cards, surveillance, cannabis classification and a bunch of other things.

They're trying to portray it as a resignation, but she was pushed. It's not like there is some bright figure with a new broom waiting in the wings to undo and fix everything in the Home Office.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Not enough. It's the ducking stool for her I'm afraid :D

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

645 to go, still people will go on with the charade and imagine voting will eventually throw up a decent human being in spite of all evidence pointing to the necessity of being a complete bastard being a prerequisite of being a politician.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Better prepare yourselves. Now you'll have to board up the windows and fend off marauding hordes of Fred Phelps and Michael Savage.

12. Queso macrumors G4

Good. We could do with a laugh :D

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jun/02/labour-day-resignation-jacqui-smith

The words "rats" and "sinking ship" spring to mind.

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

17. Queso macrumors G4

18. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

PLEASE

could somebody explain to me why she did such a TERRIBLE job?

19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

42 day detention. ID cards. Surveillance Society. Drugs classification. 88p bath plug.

20. djellison macrumors 68020

Why she did a terrible job, or why the job she did was terrible?
    First - don't know. Second? Wiki will fill out the details, such as:

Voted for introducing government registers on everyone in Britain backed up by ID cards.
    Voted for introducing student top-up fees.
    Voted for the Iraq War
    Voted against investigating the Iraq war.
    On 8 May 2009, The Daily Telegraph began publishing leaked details of MPs' expenses. The Telegraph revealed that Blears had been claiming the maximum allowable expenses, to under a pound, for 3 properties, as well as for stays in luxury hotels, £4,874 on furniture, £899 on a new bed and £913 on a new TV, the second such TV in under a year, and the maximum £400 a month in groceries. The Daily Mail printed allegations that Mrs Blears 'flipped' her homes in London three times in one year. Flipping is a technique whereby Members of Parliament switch their second home between several houses, which has the effect of allowing them to maximize their taxpayer-funded allowances.[26]
    On 10 May The Sunday Telegraph reported that Blears had not paid capital gains tax on profit from the sale of a London flat. The property was registered as her main residence with the Inland Revenue but Ms Blears had been claiming MPs' second home expenses relating to the flat. She is reported to have pocketed a profit of £45,000 on its sale without paying capital gains tax.[27] The same day, The Guardian website reported that HM Revenue and Customs were to investigate cases of possible capital gains tax evasion by MPs such as Blears.[28]

21. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Now all we need is a general election and I'll be happy, so fed up of seeing Gordon Brown's face on the TV. Has anybody noticed he can't breathe normally? Watch his lower jaw move when he breathes in, drives me insane :p

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

But would little Lord Fauntleroy be any better?

Besides, I don't care how my politcians look as long as they do their jobs properly.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ True. But maybe if they weren't all so freakin ugly they'd stop compensating by raping our wallets...

...naaaaaaaah!

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't know… I just don't buy into this "oh he's handsome therefore I must vote for him/believe he/she is trustworthy" mindset… another thing that blew over the Atlantic — and god look what it has done to France and Italy…
    Brrrrrrrrrrr.
    :(