UK Homosexual Couple win B&B Case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iStudentUK, Jan 19, 2011.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I was pleased to hear that Martyn Hall and his civil partner Steven Preddy have won their case after their experience at a B&B two years ago.

For those who haven't followed the case, the two men walked away from a B&B in Southwest England when the Christian owners wouldn't let them have a double room as they were not married, and instead offered a twin.

The Judge ruled that they were victims of discrimination and awarded £1800 damages. Interestingly, the owners claimed they were not homophobic as their policy was only married couple could share a double room. The Judge found that as homosexual couples could not marry, and civil partnerships have to be held equal to marriage in all respects, this amounted to discrimination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12214368

Personally, I think this is a victory for common sense and equality. Two Christian home owners are free to turn away anyone they wish, but two Christian business owners are not. Hopefully the message given out is this-

You have the right to believe what want (however much the majority disagree) but you don't have the right to apply those views in a place of business where that could lead to inequality.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nice to see...although this may not be the end of it. In the United States at least, this is the sort of thing that fundie Christians point to as an example of the government crushing their freedom of belief. And that perceived "persecution" inevitably leads to political movements designed to restore "morality" to government.

Hopefully you guys are better than. We're still struggling with our "morality" groups.

3. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

They have been granted leave to appeal, so we shall see! We have our share of people who feel their belief's are being restricted, but I'm sure a lot, lot less than in the US.

I don't see the problem, people have the right to believe a wide range of things. It is legal to dislike/hate/be uncomfortable with gay people, particular races, particular religions etc, and I support the right to believe that, but obviously disagree with the views themselves. However, it is not, and should not be, legal to act upon those views in the course of running a business.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wow, nice to see ignorant religious morons don't only exist in the US.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it would be nicer to see them not existing anywhere. It would be even nicer if bigotry were completely gone altogether.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't think it's really indicative of that.

In this case, the B&B owners believed that marriage could only exist between one man and one woman. Having Gay Marriage would not have changed their view.

The law in the UK states that a civil partnership is equal to marriage in law (and it really is, the situations you describe above wouldn't happen here). The court effectively found that the B&B owner's refusal to consider a civil partnership to be equivalent to marriage was illegal rather than anything else.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The owners, a Mr. and Mrs. B. Fawlty of Torquay, could not be reached for comment.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That isn't 100% true, there are some minor differences such as recognition in other countries and usage of curtesy titles.

+1, does it even need saying?

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Apparently he was still busy hanging a picture on the wall.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

:D I love you both!

11. Queso macrumors G4

It's all a bit sad really. You get the impression that the world has passed the Bulls by, and for their own sake they ought to get out of the hospitality business.

Their B&B still states on its website that they will only allow married man/woman couples to share a double bed. Sooner or later someone on their second marriage will turn up and casually drop it into conversation as they check in, just to see what the reaction is regarding adulterers.

Of course the Daily Mail readership are up in arms, screaming about political correctness gone mad and stating that an Englishman's home is no longer his castle (despite the "home" in this case being a registered business), but if you run a hotel or B&B business in the UK you cannot arbitrarily decide who is a relationship and who isn't. If you really struggle with that, it's time to sell up.

12. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm not sure Daily Mail readers have real opinions, just knee-jerk reactions whenever anything involves homosexuality, religion, race, foreigners etc.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Good. It should have been a faster decision though...I don't think anyone could NOT see that as being discrimination.