UK increases Uni. tuition fees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ct2k7, Dec 9, 2010.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The UK Parliament has officially voted in favour of raising the university tuition fees.

For some courses that cost £6000 per annum, this will rise to £9000 I believe.

The student population aren't pleased, especially as they felt they had been betrayed by a certain Nick Clegg (Lib. Dem). They have held live, [violent] protests at the parliament in London today.

More graduates will be leaving with debt, even after a decade after leaving university, students calculated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11954333

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That comes to about $14,178 US. You're beginning to approach our average level of $21,000 US or £13,330. We seem to be exporting our stupidity. :(

3. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Betrayal is hard. We now know what it feel likes.

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Although increased you are better off than you were on the current ***** system so really this is a win not a loss for the students.

The protestors are over-reacting imo.

5. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've calculated that I'll be paying more in the long term, I've also calculated that I could be spending up to, at least 10 years with £40k debt from that alone, if I get a job that pays over £21k.

Either way, both ways are *****, and there is a better, cost-effective method, but it wasn't considered, as it would involve taxing the rich on a tier system.

6. remmy macrumors 6502a

A monumental backward step.

We need more educated people, the UK is rapidly falling behind the rest of the world in terms of higher education, this will accelerate the effect.

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Well I am better off (like many people will be) so taxing the rich will achieve nothing :)

I'll only be worse off if I get into Queensland University of Technology :(

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You should've seen this coming when you all elected David Cameron and the conservatives. Learn from our mistakes. ;)

9. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Are you going in this year or next? I'm going in next year.

10. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I didn't vote him, I voted a backstabber - that's worse.

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Next year most likely :)
    Clegg FTW ;) without him my party would be unable to pass this :(

12. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Woo.

Hmm Clegg, you make me happy and angry.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it is crap. People are very willing to cut funding to high ed because they do not want to pay for support with Taxes but they got the support while they were in school. The took what they wanted out of the system but do not want to pay it back into the system.

Welcome to the world of getting screwed. In Texas for example the state did a 5% cut over all budget but the universities took of 41% of that 5% cut. They are only 12% of the state's budget. Talk about fair.
    It is because very easy to have the people not care. only the students get screwed and it is a small number of voters compared to the ones who already took everything out of the system.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well I suppose if you are on a low income that's possible. Certainly it used to be that to pay the full fees (though its graduated) your parents had to have a combined income of £40k or so, which is the higher income tax bracket.

15. Scuby macrumors regular

A lot of the people protesting clearly have no idea what they are actually protesting about - they've just heard the headline figure and latched onto it.

Quote from a student today: "I can't afford to go to university now"

Total rubbish, of course - everyone, however much money they or their parents have, can take a loan to cover the full tuition fees (plus extra for living expenses). The loan is only paid back as a small percentage of your future income over a certain amount (£21k i think?) - and if you haven't done that by a certain age, the loan is written off.

*Everyone* can, by definition, therefore afford the new higher fees - because they will give you the money you need to pay them.
    *Everyone* can, by definition, therefore afford to pay back their loan - because they will only take repayments if you are earning above a certain threshhold.

The *only* problem with the new fees is that people don't like the perception of being in debt - and i can sympathise, it does sound bad if you say "i left uni owing £30,000 to the government". But actually, because of the way it's repaid it is unlike any other form of debt, in that you only ever pay it back if you can afford to.

Think of it not as debt, but as a slightly higher rate of income tax for graduates with a cap on how long you have to pay that tax for.

David

16. Scuby macrumors regular

This is the one bit i don't like about the fees structure - and i don't think it's clear yet how that will look the the revised system.

If i'm being given a loan up-front to cover all of my fees, and i'm going to be paying that loan back from my own income after i've graduated, why should what i repay have any link to how much my parents earn?

Yes i can see why there should be extra support for students from poorer backgrounds to help with living expenses, that sort of thing, but that is a totally separate issue from fees. Everyone should pay the same amount for the same education if at the end of it they get the same job and are paid the same salary.

David

17. Queso macrumors G4

Thread title is misleading. This rise is not for the whole of the UK. Scottish students will still not have to pay a penny. Welsh students will have any cost increase met from the Welsh education budget. The Northern Irish Assembly hasn't announced any plans as yet, but seeing as they get more funding per head than any other part of the UK it's likely they will be able to follow Scotland's policy.

English students have been royally ****ed over by the government. How this country is supposed to remain competitive I'm not sure. All this does is saddle the younger generation with yet more personal debt whilst the elderly continue to get richer and richer.

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I was annoyed that I missed out on the £1000 a year by one year, at least I only paid £3000 not £9000!

I know it isn't as bad as US, where you have to pay millions of dollars upfront. However, it is 9% of everything over £21k for 30 years. So graduates could be paying a moderate portion of their wage at 50-55, when they have a mortgage, bills and maybe kids that are about to head off to uni and will need support.

I can see why many tax payers will be happy with this. Why should they have to give money for media studies students? I sympathise with that!

The UK university system just has too many students. There should be fewer students (but not too elitist) and fewer courses. I doubt people would mind taxes being spent on 20% of young people going to uni and doing science, maths, medicine, english, law, history etc- the 'proper' subjects that lead to decent, employable graduates that can help the economy. To balance that out have more apprenticeships/vocational courses so people can gain useful skills financially supported by employers.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

somehow, I doubt this will help the student protesters win their argument....link;

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well, until you've paid off the debt.

To be honest this is a pretty poor move. £3k is fair enough. £9k is ridiculous.

The only silver lining is that people will expect Oxbridge quality for their £9k.

20% seems a little low to me, but otherwise I agree.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

But they wont get that.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There will be strong pressure from the students.

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There may be, but it's simple maths.

Universities will be losing a huge part of their budget (which comes from the government).

They will be "compensated" by being able to charge higher fees.

Even at £9000, they will be getting less money than they do now per student. The government expects most Universities to charge lower fees, although I doubt that will happen.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then the Universities will have to waste less money. Schools manage with £5-£6k/year for smaller class sizes and overall equivalent salaries - and the schools budget has increased a lot.

25. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well I have a lower feeling about British students after they attack one of their own! ;)

Royal car attacked in protest after MPs' fee vote

Time to dress up as American Natives and trough tea into the river. :D

(note: I hope you know this is just me ribbing all of you. I was not serious.)