UK iPhone 4S, ATT Go-Phone Sim?

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
So I am going to NYC in a couple of weeks and I am taking an unlocked iPhone 4S with me (recently purchased), I used to have a T-Mobile USA sim but I have since lost it and I'd prefer 3G over Edge any so would most likely have had to buy a new sim.

Is it possible to walk into an AT&T store and buy just a Go-Phone mirco-sim? I understand I have to buy a separate data pack when I opt for my plan and is it insert and play or do I have to mess around with settings?

Cheers :)

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
You'd probably be better ordering a red pocket sim off ebay UK. They are an AT&T MVNO. Use them every time I go to USA.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
You'd probably be better ordering a red pocket sim off ebay UK. They are an AT&T MVNO. Use them every time I go to USA.
I would but the data you get with the plans look terrible 25/mb for $22.99/15 days :eek: I'd eat up 25/mb easily with Facebook, Spotify and Twitter... most likely Spotify alone :p

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
The paygo sim is easy - they'll give it to you free in store, and you can top up at any time. (They'll also tell you iPhone data doesnt work - but you can add data after, and for it to work you have to modify the apn)

But recently they made changes to paygo - you need to be on $25 monthly plan to be able to add a data option.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Straight Talk, $45 for unlimited everything (2GB data).
I'll look into it :)
The paygo sim is easy - they'll give it to you free in store, and you can top up at any time. (They'll also tell you iPhone data doesnt work - but you can add data after, and for it to work you have to modify the apn)

But recently they made changes to paygo - you need to be on $25 monthly plan to be able to add a data option.
How would I change the APN?

I can live with that :)

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I'll look into it :)

How would I change the APN?

I can live with that :)
Depending on current carrier the apn is accessible under Settings -> General -> Network.

Otherwise easy way (what I usually do) is change it by visiting unlockit.co.nz on the phone. You can quickly choose country and carrier and it'll make a profile that gets installed to update apn.