(UK) iPhone 5 Returns Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iWoz, Oct 28, 2012.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I've had my iPhone 5 64gb a month today but only realised over the last couple of days that the - volume button doesn't work, The first time I noticed it but didn't think much of it was when watching a youtube video a week after buying as the volume button wouldnt turn down, i just assumed it was an in-app thing and it needed to be turned down on screen.

Does anyone know the return policy? As i would like to get it swapped out but not for a refurb as i've only had it a month today.

Thanks

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Where did you get the phone from. I suspect where ever you did get it from the initial return period as probably passed and swapping it out for a retail boxed one wont be possible now. The place you got it from may be willing to swap it out as its under warranty or they may tell you to go to Apple who most likely will swap it for a brown box one which may or may not be refurb.

It seems to be a common belief that all brown box replacements by Apple are refurbs bit I'm not entirely convinced of that especially this early in the phones life cycle. Besides brown box ones are as good as new and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The only thing is it won't match the serial number on your retail box.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Hi,

I bought it from an Apple store on an o2 contract, so paid a subsidised fee at Apple store.

Thanks for the advise, I just rang o2 as Apple support telephone line is closed and they said returns within 29 days which is a shame.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

You may well need to go with a brown box replacement from Apple then.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

They may repair or supply a replacement at a reduced price.

So you've never had no reason to adjust the volume on your iPhone
    ie: within a telephone call etc !

Learning curve is to check out the iPhone or any purchase thoroughly as soon as possible.

6. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Why would you expect to NOT be swapped with a refurb? You're not bringing them a new phone for exchange so it makes no sense that they would give you a "new" one in exchange. At this point however I would think that there are no "refurbs" to be had so your phone would most likely not be a refurb but a "new" phone in the white box.

I don't understand why people freak out so much about the supposed refurb (not saying you are OP, just the general reaction here on MR). The replacement carries the same warranty as the original phone if it was still under warranty.

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

There definately wont be a price involved as it's got 1 year warranty on it!!

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I agree that if its a fault covered under the warranty then they will swap it out.