UK iPhone 5 - unlock Vodafone phone advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Confuzzzed, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I have a Vodafone iPhone 5, received on launch date. Was sealed, never had ANY SIM Card in it so foolishly thought I may be able to use an Orange SIM card in it. Alas no.

Does anyone know of any work-arounds? Still not inserted the Vodafone SIM but even in iTunes (a trick that usually worked on the 4S) can't seem to make the phone accept the Orange SIM. It's under contract, happy to pay the contract just wang to use Orange as it has better reception where I live. And my wife will use the Vodfone contract on a factory unlocked 4S.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I purchased an iPhone 5 from the carphonewarehouse 'sim free'. Never again, it locks to the first network you use!!! I used an o2 sim before my new 3 UK Nano sim arrived and now it's stuck on o2. Carphonewarehouse are taking it back without question as they don't want it broadcast to it's customers who would be otherwise unaware.

It wouldn't be so bad but they sell the 'Sim free' iPhone 5 at the same price as Apple, their advisors are not told to inform people of this locking issue.

Anyway, I looked at this site for an unlock and they seem to be reputable, o2 don't unlock them just yet and I suspect Vodafone are the same, preorder and wait I guess?

http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/iphone_unlock.php

3. Confuzzzed thread starter macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Thanks for this. Will give it a go because it's a difference of nearly £600 as the Vodafone one was a free upgrade. I could send it back and buy SIM free factory unlocked from Apple (my 4S is that and never had any problem going from network to network, even foreign SIM cards when overseas).

Are unlocks likely to cause any unforeseen problems anyone? Like lost Apple support?

4. Confuzzzed thread starter macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Just an update for anyone looking. Amazingly, Vodafone has agreed to unlock the phone for me!!! You just have to find a credible reason and if you do a search on the web you will find many. Mine was that I travel a lot to areas where not all phones work so we pool our phones at work and unless I could have it unlocked I wouldn't be keeping it. A little bit embellished but close enough to the truth and importantly it worked.

5. stuarty2003 macrumors member

stuarty2003

I got mine sim-free from CPW. Like you, never again.

HOWEVER, I called Three and they asked for proof of purchase which I sent via email, paid them £15, and they've unlocked it!

6. iluvr macrumors newbie

Confused.com

I was so excited to buy the iPhone 5. Got mine for 699pounds from carphone warehouse only to get the lock to 1st sim issue. What exactly is the definition of sim free cause clearly carphone doesn't understand this. Am abroad now and have no way to use my amazing phone. Am so confused and don't know what to do. pls help.

7. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

While I have no love for CarPhoneWarehouse, and would use any other retailer in preference to them, in their defence, they are upfront about their "contract free" iPhones. They do have a disclaimer in bold on their iPhone pages.

There is unfortunately no legal definition of "simfree" and while the rest of the industry uses simfree to mean unlocked, CarPhoneWarehouse sneakily uses it to just mean "contract free".

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Cool they decided to unlock it for you but $7 on ebay will get you an unlock.

9. All Taken macrumors 6502a

The carphone warehouse have been advertising the iPhone 5 as sim free with no disclaimer. The one you point out is displayed on the iPhone 4S product page but no such warning is anywhere to be found on iPhone 5 product page. This may have now changed but by my experience of them not informing customers via phone sales or in store is shady trading. They had no choice but to accept a return in my case but I imagine anyone who purchased online or otherwise and did not get given the disclaimer would have a very strong case of a miss sold product, especially so since apple and others agree 'sim free' to mean unlocked (non-gated)

Trading standards view it as breach of sale if no disclaimer about any lock is included in sales literature. Clarity of the term can, as you stated remain ambiguous but if the term sim free comes with a clause it has to be displayed or explained at sale.

10. aileinomuireasa macrumors newbie

UK iPhone 5 from Carphone Warehouse

Guys I need some advice. I am about to buy an iPhone 5 from Carphone Warehouse in Northern Ireland. I have been told the phone will lock to the first sim card inserted.

I want to use my Republic of Ireland sim card in it but their new disclaimer adds that it will lock to the first UK CARRIER'S sim card inserted.

My first question is, since Carphone Warehouse is also in the Republic of Ireland, would an ROI sim card be classed as "foreign?" I tweeted CPW and they simply said they would not recommend it. I tweeted again and was told that, as previously advised, they would not recommend it.

My second question is, if an ROI sim card would be classed as foreign and would not work in the iPhone 5, could I insert a Pay and Go 3 UK or Vodafone UK sim, call them and pay the unlocking cost and then use my ROI sim?

Any help is much appreciated. The phone will come as an upgrade from o2 however, apparently, all CPW iPhones do not come locked to a network but rather lock to the one used in activation. o2 are point blank refusing to unlock the iPhone 5. I have spoken to their complaints department only to be told it is a business decision and they will not unlock it at this time.

Thanks

11. Confuzzzed thread starter macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I believe the latest iOS also comes with better 'locks' onto whichever network you signed up to. But, my experience is that if you ask nicely (certainly with Vodafone) they will unlock it for you...maybe that is also the case with O2. Otherwise, just do a jailbreak if you are brave enough but run the risk with any software upgrades you get 'locked' again