UK Iraq Inquiry ... just when we thought Brexit was bad...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VulchR, Jul 6, 2016.

1. VulchR, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The UK's Iraq Inquiry has been released and it doesn't look good. Recommended reading for those who suggest leaping to war before looking....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36712735

FWIW: I was one of the fools who believe Saddam Hussein had WMD (more accurately, we knew that he had them and used them, but there was no proof that they all had been destroyed). The irony of all of this is that some chemical shells were indeed found in Iraq, but they were the old ones used in the war with Iran and in the atrocities against the Kurds, not the supposed ones we went to war over. Meanwhile, the use of chemical weapons in Syria has gone completely unpunished.

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

This is all stuff we knew in 2002, and has been confirmed time and time gain since. Nothing terribly surprising to me.

3. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

The extent of the intelligence screw-ups amazes and appals me. Obviously MI6 made a mistake in believing their source about Iraq WMD, but it sounds like they knew this before the war and did not communicate it up the chain of command.

4. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

When the intent to invade predates the gathering of intelligence, incompetence should not amaze anyone.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This was stuff that was strongly suspected by many in 2002, but the Chilcot report offers damming proof of what many suspected.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not sure it can be a screw up when all the highest level administrators refused to accept the information. Then, went on to use "evidence" that had already been shown to be false to continue the push for the war. Aluminum tubes come to mind, along with yellowcake.

7. Scepticalscribe, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just watched a clip of Robin Cook's powerful and impressive speech explaining why he was resigning as Foreign Secretary in 2003 as he felt he could not support the decision to go to war (in Iraq) and he outlined - with a devastating lucidity, and with considerable courage and integrity - just exactly why he was doing so; Newsnight (on BBC2) have just broadcast it instead of the closing credits.

Needless to say, he has been more than completely vindicated.

8. grahamperrin, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

A few more tweets:
    My sense of shame at being British, at times such as this, is partly offset by the knowledge that so many people protested, in Britain, against the invasion before it began.

All politics aside: R.I.P. Robin Cook; his memorably honourable resignation drew special attention to the wrongness of things around that time.

Attached Files:

9. 617aircav Suspended

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Shave his hair and put him there.

11. Queen6, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Tony Blair and his cohorts should be made fully accountable for their actions. I served in the British military during this period, the war was totally unnecessary, killing countless and destabilising the region ever further, with still no sense of recovery to this day. Blair should be stripped of all honours and be put to trial in a public court of law for the travesty of lies that he and his followers projected on the general public during this period.

Those with access to intel in the day would have made the same statement "no WMD`s". Like as not Mr Blair will suffer little more than acute embarrassment, little else. Forget Brexit, powers that be should have focused on rounding up some of the criminals that previously ran the country, that cost so many dearly. Today this would have been a far easier decision and likely vastly more popular.

Q-6

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

Realistically the findings were "It was an illegal war"

Yet no-one faces prosecution.

Between this and the Fallout from Brexit, we're getting a stark reminder of what real British Democracy and Justice really is...... exceptionalism for the Bourgeoisie

13. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am not so sure that the ME would be stable even if the invasion had not occurred. Arab Spring started in Tunisia, not Iraq or any nation bordering Iraq. Still, what a mess the US and UK created.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would somewhat agree, but the invasion of Iraq created the conditions that allowed Al Qauida in Iraq to form which later grew into the Islamic State. If we hadn't created those conditions then the uprising in Syria may have gone closer to the revolutions in Tunisia or Egypt or at the worst ended up with Assad remaining in power.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

This inquiry has just confirmed I had more knowledge in 2002 than our government did. It's just pointing out what the population have been saying for years.