UK: Is Dec '11 a good time to buy a MBA? [UK]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsymacker, Nov 12, 2011.

1. macsymacker macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am looking forward to making the purchase of a MacBook Air 13" in early December (2011).

Is it a good time to buy one? Are there going to be drastic, unbelievably amazing fantastic improvements with the next generation to come?

What do you think?
    I need one and I'd like to have one soon.

Thank you,
    Cheers!

2. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

probably not

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Next generation of Intel chips, Ivy Bridge, is not due out until spring 2012. There will be improvements, but not a huge difference. Supposedly battery life will be better.

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

what do you do on your computer????

if you edit video or pictures i would wait

ivy bridge will bring 60% better graphics and will bring quad core processing also there will be a major redesign so i would wait

5. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

Why not? ;-)

----------

What kind of redesign?

If Apple starts selling ivy bridge quad CPU MBAs straight up, they won't be able to keep these low prices though..

What do you think?

6. robbie12345, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

robbie12345 macrumors 6502

the thing with quad core is that just because it has higher specs then the current doesn't mean it is more expensive ,

for instance a g4 before may have been 300 dollars at one point now it is 20

all i can say though is that it will most likey be a base of a low clock speed for instance maybe starting at 1.3ghz instead of 1.6,

also the price isn't really going to change much with intel what happens is they manufacture chips each year that are the same updated model of a different architecture

so for instance it will copst the same to manufacture each processor

also the quad core is only for the 13 inch

it is like the graphics cards

the 4870 was replaced by the 5870 and now the 6870 they all cost the same to manufacture at the given time though

7. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

Hello again,

When ivy bridge cpus are released, are they not going the cost more than the i5s of today?

And won't Apple need some time to imply the new chips into existing products?

So, if ivy bridge CPUs are released in the second quarter/half of 2012, I assume new MBAs won't be on sale before the end of the year.

8. amarcus macrumors 6502

Ivy bridge will bring quad core processing to the 13inch MacBook Pro but probably not the Air (TDP issues). Also a major redesign is by no means guaranteed and it seems a little too soon to me but then again with Apple it's anyone's guess.

Adam

9. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

the tcp of the macbook pro 13 inch and the mba 13 inch is the same also remember last february when the new mbps were announced, there wasn't even anything that was compatible with thunderbolt but they sold them anyway,

also they put sandy bridge into the new mbps pretty much the same time it was announced

and no apple pretty much would incorporate it sooner considering this

the iPad 3 will be quad core almost no one now anything about chip architecture or anything about ghz so any one seeing quad core on the iPad and then iPhone would rather buy an iPhone then an mba which is dual even though the mba with sandy bridge would swamp in it anything processor intensive

and yes the ivy bridge i5's will cost as much as the sandy bridge i5's are today

10. amarcus macrumors 6502

11. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Battery and Power

Advanced lithium-polymer battery with MagSafe power adapter.4

Wireless web
    Up to 5 hours

Standby time
    Up to 30 days

35-watt-hour; 45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe power port

Wireless web
    Up to 7 hours

Standby time
    Up to 30 days

50-watt-hour; 45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe power port

a note from the apple specs page for the mba