UK: MoD seeks to cut soldiers' payout

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by arkitect, Jul 28, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I love a government that cares…

I mean seriously. Considering how much government advisers, quangos and general hangers-on are paid these sums are peanuts. (yes, Boris.)

BBC

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

They should have flown a desk: Link 1*, Link 2

This on the day that four more dead soldiers are being repatriated and that MPs give themselves a new £9,000 expenses deal. Just when you think this governments treatment of the Armed Forces can't get any lower, they whip out new shovels (presumably bought on expenses) and continue digging. :mad:

*Apologies for linking to the Daily Mail.

3. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Why exactly do people get paid money for pain and suffering? And even if we accept that they should, why can't those awards be nominal?

I think that awards should be made for the cost of treatment, rehabilitation and any future losses due to their incapacity.

Therefore, someone who is seriously injured is perfectly entitled to a large award if they need care for the rest of their life for example.

That said, given the stupid amounts that MPs rack up in expenses etc it is obviously hypocritical that they bitch about a hero getting some pocket money.

I'm playing a bit of a devils advocate here, obviously.