UK national identity register is 'up and running'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Nov 24, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I can scarcely contain my excitement, you?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Especially with this news just out…

Police making arrests 'just to gather DNA samples'
    Link…
    Oh the joys of the surveillance state… :rolleyes:

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. djellison macrumors 68020

I will not pay for this. I have a drivers licence and a passport that I have already paid for.

The government having biometric data also makes me nervous - they are demonstrable incapable of retaining personal data, and the potential risk in terms of identify theft with THAT much information is huge. The information commissioner should be spending a LOT more time looking at the government.

Furthermore - an X-billion pound project? I can not see any genuine benefit to national security. Will it mean I can take a drink through airport security? Can I avoid taking my damn shoes and belt off? Can I leave my laptop in its case? Can I avoid the 60 minute queues? Not a damn thing will change. Another case of the UK Gov caring more about LOOKING like they're doing something on that front rather than ACTUALLY doing something on that front.

I hate sounding like outraged-of-tunbridge-wells on the letters page of the Daily Mail...but in this particular case, I'm afraid I think it's justified.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's a bunch of arse that will fail massively and cost us all a fortune, either directly or indirectly. I'm not surprised at all :mad:

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No doubt those who have a use for multiple identities are getting in there before the Government becomes aware of the loopholes in the system. The more information they have the more confused they are.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's only a matter of time before American evangelicals put together a segment for Focus on the Family which unveils a supposed next-stage plan by the UK government to implant identity transmitters in citizens of the UK. These identity transmitters of course will be either in the right hand or the forehead. And yet Obama will still be viewed as a more likely candidate for the role of Antichrist. :)

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They will be next year if the Tories win the election.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'd be very dubious about taking the likes of Cameron's word about the time of day let alone a election promise.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I wouldn't be so sure…
    If it is "in place" it will definitely stay.

Show me a government that gives away its powers…

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Ok, I'll fix it....

The national identity card should be scrapped next year if the Tories win the election and David Cameron forgets he is a politician and actually does what he has promised to do.

Is that better? :D

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Much. :D

Still… :eek:

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes that's better,never make the mistake of thinking that because one group of politicians are complete bastards that the alternative group can't be worse.:)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh finally! Now I can give the government more details for them to lose.

15. alFR macrumors 68020

It's another scheme dreamed up in the name of "beating the terrorists" (but actually to increase government power) that won't work. I find it incredibly annoying, along with the airport security theatre we're currently subjected to (for example, what's the point stopping people bringing scissors on board when once through security you can buy drink in glass bottles that can be broken and turned into an edged weapon?).

Personally, I hope that if ID cards are introduced there's a massive campaign of civil disobedience and refusal to get/carry them. They can't lock us all up (hopefully).

Amusingly, look at what the Google ad for this thread was: benefit your business my arse.

Attached Files:

• ad.jpg
      ad.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, they're still being rolled out for foreign nationals living in the UK. That was the plan first, to tag all of us before they get round to you. Makes fewer waves that way.

Although I can't seem to get consistent advice on whether I need to apply for one with my current application. I'm not happy about the idea, but watcha gonna do?

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I was wondering whether you'd see that. ;)

Seems like they'll catch up with you when you go to renew your passport and/or stamps. Or you could think about becoming a Brit to avoid them for a while.

The Tories seem pretty hard-core against them, though.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL... so true. My state government can't even keep track of my years of experience at work.

Them --> "Well, the guy who did our filing recently left, and now we can't find anything".
    Me --> "And did he take his proprietary filing system with him? 'A', 'B', 'C' etc?"
    :rolleyes:

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They will roll this out as quick as they can then they will start arresing people as they match DNA to crimes. It's all a load of bull. I had my DNA taken when I jumped a red light at 2 miles an hour at 3am 3-4 years ago because I didn't have my wallet on me they took me down the nick. It got thrown out of court due to the fact I proved the traffic lights did not register a car at that time of the morning only trucks and vans. Do you think they removed my details from there system as the law states they have to if your found innocent? Did they bollocks. They did however have to pay my court costs and my missed time from work oh and the various Calls I had to make getting it all sorted.

22. Queso macrumors G4

I will refuse to carry one, and if they attempt to prevent people who refuse to carry ID cards from travelling the government will quickly find all ports and airports blockaded, meaning nobody at all will travel. What are they going to do? "Kettle" several million people?

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I am furious just reading this. What a huge load of bullshyte! :mad:
    I'm also hoping edesignuk (my husband) sees this post since he often drives around without his wallet and I'm constantly saying what a bad idea that is.

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Since I got my photo-card license earlier this year I just keep it on me. I figure it's easier in the long run (note this does not mean I support ID cards one little bit).

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Generally you don't have to immediately hand over your driving licence to a policeman, and in fact specifically shouldn't give it to them (according to my driving instructor). Whether jumping a red light is an arrest-able offence is a different question.