UK: National Network of Number Plate reading CCTV cameras to go live

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, May 26, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I've noticed signs up locally telling you they're doing this. I didn't used to care, I have nothing to hide after all. Now though, the more these types of nation wide monitoring schemes are happening, the more bothered by them I am.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

They can try... none of the number plate recognition systems I've met so far at Airport car parks have been able to read mine, the letters are non-standard ;)

4. remmy macrumors 6502a

Seems horrible, thank god I'm not living in that horrible dictatorship, where is this? oh wait bugger

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

With the recent case about the police storing images of that guy I wonder how this will fair up in the courts as I doubt it will be long before this is contested. I know they have been around in localised settings for sometime now but once it gets this large someone will take them on.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Yet another example of why the public's anger over the expenses disgrace needs to be channelled into enacting real democratic change. These people need to be reminded that they are public servants, not our rulers. I for one am sick of being spied on.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There was a programme on last night on BBC2 about CCTV in the UK - it should still be on iPlayer. And a terrifying number of people who seemed quite happy about it and were actually demanding more.

One of the things they covered was this number plate reading - and interviewed a couple who'd been 'flagged' by it since they'd gone on a few peaceful protests and were now classified as potential criminals.

There was also a piece on the talking CCTV cameras in Middlesborough which tell people to pick up litter etc.

My problem is that while the initial reason for the monitoring usually appears to be valid, it morphs into scope creep and then quis custodiet ipsos custodes?