UK Network EE Will Offer £5 a Month Cellular Tariff for LTE-Capable Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

EE will be the exclusive mobile network in the U.K. to offer a tariff for the new LTE-capable Apple Watch Series 3 when it begins shipping later this month.

Announced at Apple's media event on Tuesday, the latest version of the smartwatch contains an eSIM that can connect to a 4G LTE network so users can make and receive calls on their wrist, while watchOS apps can make use of the mobile data connection while untethered from an iPhone.

[​IMG]

According to the BBC's Dave Lee, the EE tariff for the Apple Watch Series 3 will be £5 per month for existing EE iPhone contract holders, with the calling function on the watch using the same number as the owner's phone.

EE customers will be able to sign up for the new tariff when the Series 3 Apple Watch becomes available for pre-order on September 15, costing £399 with cellular connectivity and £329 without. Orders for the new watch are expected to arrive on September 22, which is the official launch date of the device.

Apple only mentioned EE as a U.K. carrier for the Apple Watch Series 3 during its media event yesterday, but it's likely that other U.K. networks will offer their own tariffs as the market for the LTE smartwatch matures.

Update: MacRumors reader Matt Graham contacted O2 support, who confirmed to him that the O2 network will also be supporting 4G LTE on Apple Watch Series 3, although no firm date was given.

Article Link: UK Network EE Will Offer £5 a Month Cellular Tariff for LTE-Capable Apple Watch Series 3

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

That's what we want, another plan! - But honestly I do think the £5 isn't that bad. £60 a year for LTE on the watch to me is reasonable.

That red dot on the crown however? No thanks lol

3. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

In theory an LTE Apple Watch was a great idea, in practice the carriers were always going to use it to gouge more money from you.

4. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

TBH I don't want cellular, I have a phone for that..... As they don't do anything other than the Aluminium in non-cellular, and the fact I'm with O2 gives me more than enough reasons to miss this gen out.

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Next are they going to charge if I remove my SIM from one phone and put it in another?

6. RDowson macrumors regular

RDowson

How much data do we get for £5 though? It you are using this for streaming Apple music you are going to need a decent allowance.

I'd like to see deals where you can share your data plan from your phone with the watch, similar to what EE do if you have a phone and tablet plan.

7. groovyf macrumors 6502

I'm with EE, and even though £5 isn't too bad (and better than I was expecting!), I'm not sure it's for me. 'd happily take the Watch 3 without LTE

8. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

And again, how does $399 convert to £399?

It should £300 or £360 with VAT (if sales tax isn't included in US price).

The same is true across the board of Apple products.

9. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

That is a shame, i'd have bought the non-celluar Series 3 if they did stainless steel like my Series 3 Watch just for the increased speed and power.

Cellular never appealed to me - I don't know why people got so excited about it on here months ago. The same people complained the iPhone was too small, then it got massive and suddenly they wanted to leave it at home and just go out with a watch on instead ffs.

10. Big_Al macrumors newbie

Not an EE customer. I'm hoping I can still buy the cellular watch at release and get cellular enabled once my network provider is on board.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Yep, same reason I would have upgraded. Everything but cellular.

I do get why some certain, particular scenarios would benefit from a cellular watch. What I think is amusing was the Apple Watch + Apple Music advert they showed. Why that skateboarder needed LTE to stream apple music to his watch when he had plenty of pockets and clothes to store his iPhone in is a mystery.

12. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

In North America prices don’t include taxes which are added later at the checkout so maybe the £399 is tax included

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Apple doesn't like to reprice things mid way through a products life cycle. With the way brexit negotiations Apple is hedging its bets that our currency may fall, this way they don't have to reprice anything.

It's **** for us UK buyers of which I am one, but then I'm not buying any of the new things they announced anyway.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

DOA for now, not with EE. Though not keen for £5 , on a great old plan and I suspect they will want you to upgrade to a new plan

15. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Using your same number, presumably the phone and watch all come from the same allowance?

£5 would have been very, very interesting to me, if it was through Three and as long as the watch will stream Google Play Music. Be a great upgrade over my iPod shuffle.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    They just changed some iPad pro prices? Also the Mac prices when the launched the Touchbar Macbook. Also as part of the "Blame Brexit" opportunism. In fact they do change prices quite regularly!

16. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Existing iPhone contract holders?

But what if, like many, you're with EE on a SIM-only plan?

17. groovyf macrumors 6502

I took it to mean any form of contract you have with them, SIM-only, monthly, etc.

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

That's still a contract.

You have an iPhone? ✅
    You have a contract with EE? ✅
    You can get an Apple Watch added for £5 per month. ✅

19. Unggoy Murderer macrumors 6502

Don't forget that US retails do not include state tax in their prices. The amount varies between 6-12% depending on the state, so the prices really aren't that far out.

20. Azzin macrumors 68040

I worked out earlier that I could by a 256GB iPhone X with Applecare included in NYC, for the same price as it would cost in the U.K for just the phone, so there's enough of a difference.

21. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

You'll have at least a 2-year wait or so given the other networks weren't even in the "coming next year" slide.

Oh and as an aside, whilst we're on the subject of Dave Lee of the BBC, watch his brilliantly incisive (sarcasm) tech report on the X here :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41249367

Oh and it gets better...:rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/busine...n-embarrassing-failure-during-its-iphone-demo
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Didn't you hear Cook quote Jobs quote Gretzsky?

Apple prices their products to where the £ is going to be (post-Brexit), not where it's been.

22. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Surely the watch needs to be on the same number as your phone?

If you're a non EE customer and purchase the LTE version you'll have a different phone number for the watch and your mobile...

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

Correct.

24. iSimon macrumors regular

I wouldn't take that as guaranteed. It may well be the same rules as their current "shared data plan" policy (whereby you can share your data across additional SIMs) as that is only available on actual phone plans, not SIM only. I asked about this a while back as I was looking to get an additional SIM to use in my car but was told it was only available with phone contracts and I was only interested in SIM only.

25. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Is it? I basically read EE's statement (about needing TWO contracts, one for each device) as "if you don't have an EE phone contract, you won't be able to use the cellular features of the AW3 in the UK". You won't have 2 numbers, the watch just won't work using LTE.

At the moment, it's not even confirmed whether you can buy the LTE watch and not activate that function, in the vain hope your other network jumps onboard soon. I mean, surely that's the case (just as not using cellular function in the wifi + cell iPad) but who knows at this point. Common sense isn't a given anymore...