UK Network EE Will Offer £5 a Month Cellular Tariff for LTE-Capable Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Apple are pricing the uk with a ~10% premium over US pricing, probably to protect them from currency fluctuations.

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

My sim only contract with O2 has expired so I am tempted to pac code over, especially as EE offer 6 months of Apple music service for free and 18gig for £21.99. Adding £5 wouldn't be a show stopper

3. vertical smile macrumors 68000

vertical smile

Are they really the same people?

4. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

No other network will join "soon". On the Apple slide yesterday no other providers were coming next year so it will be at least 2019.

So if you are on THREE and buy an EE LTE watch you will have 1 phone number for the watch and one for your iphone.

5. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

We have higher VAT than US sales Tax... and higher import duty. Brexit blah blah blah.

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well colour me stunned. I really expect EE to charge more than that. I’m not an EE customer, I’ve got an amazing, hard to beat deal with my current provider.
    But my current provider doesn’t and has no plans to even support 3G let alone 4G or the upcoming 5G in a place I travel to almost every month.

So I’m currently running two plans, one extra so I can get data when we’re away. There’s only two providers up there that offer coverage, good fast coverage at that and EE is one of them.
    Trouble is the other one has a way, way, way better offer than EE but no Apple Watch series 3 so far. Oh the dilemma :D
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---

We always have had, brexit has just made it slightly worse for the time being. It’ll settle down eventually, hopefully. If not maybe I can finally convince the wife to emigrate to Texas :)

7. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

I think it shares the data / calls / messages on whatever plan you are on. That's the way it was briefly explained on stage. It's just a £5 a month bolt on.

But I do think EE should have had the ACTUAL information ready on their site today at least.

I don't think you will be able to get a separate contract JUST for your phone. Well not yet... they are the only Carrier with it in the UK so may get some people to switch their phone contract. When other networks get it then they may do a phone only. Would suit my parents perfectly. They don't use a smartphone but would probably love a watch phone.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The Series 3 non-cellular offers quite a few advantages over the Series 2. Barometric altimeter, faster processor, W2 chip, better battery, and more. Perhaps these additions may not matter for your usage, but they are huge additions for other people.

9. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

Was joking about Brexit really ;) But Every launch people complain about the price bump and it's down to VAT and impost duty.

where do you go that doesn't have 3g?! 2g is dead everywhere right? It's Analog?

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I know, that's why I want a non-cellular Stainless Steel. I'm all for the "other" features, I just don't want to have an Aluminium watch if I don't want cellular. I also don't want to pay a £70 premium for cellular as I don't want it. Give me a SS non-cellular at £70 less and I'm happy.

11. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

So when you fly back to the UK - I presume you will declare it and pay import duties ?
    Oh yes, that would make it more expensive! :rolleyes:

Some people on here just don't get it - probably using XE who use mid market rates. The exchange rate you see there is nowhere near what you will get. The price difference between apple store USD and GBP is very little once VAT and exchange rates are factored in.

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Too true, I’ve yet to see Apple launch a product people didn’t complain about being expensive. Of course it is, it’s bloody Apple, nothing changed there in the 20 odd years I’ve been a customer. But you do get a lot of good fringe benefits on top of an amazing product.
    Even the ones that, when you use them, you think, actually this is bloody good value for money. Apple Pencil, AirPods etc, just my opinion of course.

I go to the noth of Scotland at least once a month during the summer season. So that would make it, oh, once a year :p

Seriously though I’m there often enough to warrant the need for data and my current provider only has 2G support up there, I kid you not.

The good thing is their 2G has blanket coverage, so great in case of an emergency. But sucky because they don’t plan to upgrade their network anytime soon.

So I’m actually running a separate data connection with EE at the moment as they and Three are the only ones with amazing 4G around there.

I’d actually like to switch back to Three full time now that they have their Go Binge in place. But they have no coverage outside of the towns, which is why I left them in the first place. And now also no S3 Apple Watch.

It’s all bloody annoying, why can’t at least one network get it all right :rolleyes:

13. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

EE hasn't even implemented voicemail transcribing yet after a year! Wouldnt trust EE with any reliability...

14. pharmasyd macrumors newbie

pharmasyd

Don't know f been mentioned, but there is a sub note on Apple page with the EE, which states that UMTS 3G is not supported, so does that mean it will be a much slowerGSM 2G/2.5G or will it be LTE 4G)?

15. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ah, I see what you mean. Sorry about that! You make a very good point. Apple really should offer the non-cellular in the stainless steel.

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

No worries, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been!

17. Philsy macrumors 6502a

Something I've not seen explained is, what exactly is LTE? It's a term I'd not heard before the new Apple Watch rumours started. Is it the same as 4G? Thanks.

18. liljak macrumors newbie

According to EE's website its available on both SIM only or pay monthly plan

Source:
    https://shop.ee.co.uk/apple-watch-series-3

19. RDowson macrumors regular

RDowson

Some people on EE have it. I'm not sure how they have it but they do. Check their forums.

20. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

I had no idea what you are talking about... so googled

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207181

voicemail transcribing is beta only and only for US and Canadian English at the moment.

I've had every network in the past 6 years in London and EE for me at least works consistently. BUT ironically not in my house... Stupidly thick walls and only Vodafone seems to work.. but I have WiFi calling for that.

21. iSimon macrumors regular

Um no - if you are on Three and get the LTE Series 3 Watch you won't have a number for the watch at all - you can't get an EE contract for the watch only - they have to be on the same network (and share the same number). So either you go all in and switch to EE for phone and watch, or stick with Three and hope they offer support in the future and for the time being use the watch in GPS only mode.

22. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Ah, that's even worse then!

23. Purple Pear, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Purple Pear macrumors newbie

Purple Pear

This is carriers we are talking about... If they thought could they would, be careful what ideas you throw out there for them stumble across. ;-)

Edit: Spelling

24. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Here's hoping 3 will let those with 30gb or unlimited data (those that are allowed to use 30gb to tether) to get the Apple Watch LTE eventually for no extra cost. Just use that allowance. Here's hoping...
    Maybe even get Apple Music on their binge program

25. Cowmonk macrumors member

Wait so not only is it only EE, even then it's only 4G (no 3G at all?).

Man what an anti-climax. I was so geared up to replace my S0. I hope the market sorts it out.