UK Network EE Will Offer £5 a Month Cellular Tariff for LTE-Capable Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. manu chao macrumors 603

I would guess the £5 simply means having the same amount of data you currently have in your phone plan as a shared amount for phone + watch.

2. Spendlove macrumors 6502

Spendlove

Properly cheesed off. The one thing I absolutely had to have and Apple for some reason are letting EE have the Apple Watch 3 for the rest of this year and at least ALL of next year (the event showed no other companies listed in the UK for 2018, just EE).

Why limit your audience to ONE carrier? There are many in the UK and all are equally as good. Some people in the UK sign two year contracts on their phones. How are they ever supposed to get an Apple Watch 3? Why would they when the Apple Watch 4 would be looming soon? Why would you even buy an Apple Watch 4 if Apple sign away the rights for a few quid while once again you are on another contract? How is ANYONE WHO RIGHT NOW IS NOT ON EE AND ON ANOTHER CONTRACT SUPPOSED TO GET ONE EVER?!

Why limit your customer base to a tiny fraction of what is available?

/end middle aged rant.

3. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

EE have a very good sim only deal - £21.99 for 18gig of data, unlimited calls and messages and free Apple music for 6 months. I am on O2 and yes, I wish that O2 were doing esims but they are not so i have got my pac code and will go to EE for 12 months. It will be at least that long before we see other uk carriers accommodating AW LTE

4. Ad13 macrumors regular

...or maybe they are the network that have positively supported the Apple ecosystem when the other couldn’t be bothered - Visual Voicemail, Wi-Fi Calling innovations. If you were Apple, who would you talk to first???

5. 4ppleg1rl macrumors member

Vodafone have 20gb for £20 + spotify, sky sports & now tv sooooo

6. slears macrumors member

Does anybody know if EE will be offering the AW3 on a contract deal, I mean for the hardware itself as opposed to the data charges?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    I cannot find this offer on their site, where are you finding this as I am due to upgrade but wondering if to just move to SIM only until new hardware next year due to the incremental updates this year?

7. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Who said it will be exclusive to EE all of this year and next year? O2 have already confirmed they will be adding support, I'm sure by the end of the year there will be more.

8. slears macrumors member

For this year at least it will be EE exclusive until O2 join in at some point, most likely the beginning of next year (or Christmas if they get their act together in time for the holiday spending).

It's in all carriers best interests to offer this as soon as practically possible as the amount of contract signings will go through the roof, especially if they offer a monthly purchase option for the watch hardware...

9. smileman macrumors member

Any word on or timing predictions for other UK carriers?

10. truesepho macrumors regular

I've been with EE since 2013 and never had a single problem, always fast and reliable connection. So, more than happy that they are bringing Series 3 on board.
    However, I totally agree that they should give more choice to customers. I wonder why EE is the only carrier at the moment...

11. Cowmonk macrumors member

I'm super cheesed too. I'm not in a contract but I don't have any real eagerness to leave Three or dive into a contract.

It's such a weird situation. So used to hearing from our US pals with their carrier woes.

Either
    Switch to EE
    Buy wifi only
    Buy LTE and wait in hope maybe wasting £70
    Stick with trusty S0

I'm leaning toward the last one. I was so keen to upgrade too.

12. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Completely missed the fact that SS is missing from the non LTE version, until I read this thread - thank you.

I was considering upgrading my S0 SS but I'm a) happily on a good phone SIM Only plan on O2 and b) am not keen on going to a sports watch - my screen is as good as the day i got in May 15... Given my biggest use is notifications and Apple Pay, these are still working OK for now I think I'm out for this version.

13. iSimon macrumors regular

I can't see how it would be anything else. It is roughly on par with (in fact a little cheaper than) how much EE charge to add a shared data SIM to an existing phone plan which just uses the same allowances, albeit with a seperate number.
    Yes LTE is 4G (and UMTS is 3G).
    The watch only supports LTE and UMTS, so if EE aren't supporting UMTS (as certainly seems to be the case) it will be 4G or nothing.

14. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Maybe this is why Apple partnered with EE, because they still have the best LTE coverage in the UK. With Three I find I only get 4G occasionally (getting more frequent slowly) but according to the EE coverage checker I should get 4G in most places I typically go.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm on Vodafone, £10.75 a month after cashback for 16GB and Sky Sports Mobile. Would need something pretty stunning to switch, and no way am I paying an extra £10 just to be able to use my watch.

Will be the non-LTE if I do upgrade, but not sure I will.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

yep

I'm on three right now and 4G is in very limited places. Where EE with my portable wifi I get 4G everywhere

17. macgabe macrumors regular

That seems like an OK price and honestly less than I feared. Of course it should be free and presumably will eventually be rolled into bundles of "phone number on as many devices as you want", but for now I'd be happy if my carrier will offer anything similar. I suspect it'll be at least double.

18. Darrensk8, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:47 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 1:16 AM

Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

Although I do get coverage almost everywhere with EE I'm often showing 2-3 bars....congestion was always an issue with Three it's much less with EE but I still run into it now and then.

19. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

Also - where I live, there's no chance you'd have a reliable signal anyway. I don't even trust my phone to do that, I make playlists offline. Which you can already do with the Watch and use it the same way (In two years I've never bothered to connect headphones to my Watch, probably because I don't actually have any bluetooth ones)

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I have bluetooth ones, and I connect them to my phone, which I have with me, all the time :)

21. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Perhaps the skateboarder was worried that if he fell off his board, he might land on his $1000 phone in his pocket and smash it to bits! :(

Back when I used to skate, it was only the polo mints in my pocket that would get broken, and my pride! :D

22. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

Am on EE sim only tariff ; question though, does this mean we buy the watch from :apple: and get the embedded sim activated by EE or EE provides the watch and deliver with 4G enabled?

23. GoFlex macrumors regular

GoFlex

If anyone wants the link to £18.90 offer I found, I'll try and find it again. It's unlimited texts, unlimited minutes and 18GB data I think.

24. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

No. EE is the best carrier in the UK. Trust me. I tried most of them