UK Now Freaking Out About US Reaction To BP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Well then perhaps they shouldnt have named the company "British Petrolium". Because thats how you pronounce "British Petrolium".

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is BP no longer a British company? If it is, sorry- but Obama has a right to complain.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, British Petroleum is their name. What the hell are they complaining about?

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is a bit funny since most of Europe was pointing a finger directly at us during the financial crisis.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I really wouldn't pay much attention to Boris Johnson – he's a noted buffoon and national figure of fun, while The Daily Mail is a rather nasty, xenophobic rag disguising itself as a newspaper.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Now he'll be an international figure of fun.

[​IMG]

He kinda looks like a less funnier version of Chris Farley.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Come on. We know its BP who's responsible for this with help from Transocean and Halliburton. We don't dislike the British over this, you're not French. :D

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Its not called British Petroleum any more, and hasn't been since 2000 after they merged with two American companies Amoco and Arco.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

At first glance I thought it was Gary Busey.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As long as they were pointing the finger at us too that was fair.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

He reminds me of someone....

[​IMG]

F U Rt & Dzine - That was mine! You were too fast

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK then. Obama should make sure he places proper blame.

14. unid macrumors regular

a big percentage of the british public, didn't buy the bad polluters
    brand positioning as beyond petroleum, bogus politics begets partisans.

15. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

And I imagine they have a right to be concerned about their pensions lost. And yes, Obama does have a right to complain.

What I'm curious to know is why the CEO sold off a third of his share of the company weeks before the accident, and then forced Transocean to drill in a faster way than they were wanting to do so because of schedule. This is becoming an absolute disaster in more ways than just environmental. The Gulf States are suffering as well economically and the Feds have been completely incompetent in the whole general matter.

Even more so, the Feds then turn around and ban a species of fish from being harvested in the Southeast, and are now threatening a ban on an additional 73 other species. These population measures will only lead to other species being overfished and shut out the entire fisheries market in the entire state. Charters, commercial boats and recreational fishing will be over in the state.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

"Freaking out right now"? Did Gregory white just watch an episode of The Young Ones?

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

More like this:

Attached Files:

18. Queso macrumors G4

Tebbit is a complete turd. Ever so often the Mail or Telegraph will wheel him out to tell everyone how foreigners are all bastards and it was all better in his day.

Boris has probably just been "lobbied". BP has a lot of big London based finance companies as major shareholders.

As for Obama there were three companies involved with that rig, yet he's doing his damnedest to divert attention away from the US-based ones. Transparent as hell. All three are guilty IMO, and all three need to pay.

19. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

We should not be quite so hard on BP. Not because I'm defending what they did, but hard on them on behalf of the U.S.

This is taking into account the vast amount of damage that U.S. based companies have done to the Eco Systems of many other countries (espically poor countries) over the years. We have really trashed some places. This is one reason that we don't have a great relationship with many.

Like I said, I'm not defending BP, but just remembering some of the things that U.S. companies has done. Let alone, what our Government has done.

20. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

That wasn't a merger they bought them out just like they did to Mobil in the 90's if it were a merger it would not be likely that the name would even resemble "BP" anymore they updated their logo from a shield to a flower but it is still the same green background and initials which stand for British Petroleum. and here's a link to a page from the BP website which shows where they even say the headquarters for the company is:

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=24&contentId=2000737

Yep still sounds like "British Petroleum" to me--so this sounds like it is about as much the UK governments problem as it is ours.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think he looks like Donald Trump with messy hair.

22. Queso macrumors G4

It should also be pointed out that when British Petroleum was formed from the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company it was named after the Empire of that name, not the rump country that remains. It's a global brand. Britain is just where it pays its taxes.

For instance, buried in those links it clearly shows the company has over 11,000 gas stations in the USA, compared to 1,300 in the UK. That's not the sign of a company focussed on our own country.

23. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

... and most of the Europe and the rest of world should FOR SURE point the finger at USA for the financial crisis. It's the corruption and dishonesty among financial institutions in USA that caused it !!!

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Despite whatever the proper name for the company is, I haven't heard any widespread blame being placed on the UK itself -- so I don't know what the problem is. We're all addicted to oil so its everyone's fault really.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

and a british based company just sludged our entire gulf coast line with oil, they need to come clean it up.