UK O2 Customers' 4G Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortcrust, Sep 13, 2012.

1. shortcrust macrumors 6502

My excitement about the new iPhone has waned over the course of the day as I've slowly realised that O2 customers have a difficult choice to make.

My understanding is that the iPhone 5 released on 21 September will never work on the O2 LTE 4G network. It seems O2 customers have to decide whether to buy next week and get phone that will never work on 4G or wait for an unspecified time (probably many months) in the hope that a new O2 4G specific model is released.

My heart is sinking and I honestly don't know what to do. I've had my heart set on buying the new phone on launch day and O2 is the only choice for me. However, I'll probably keep the iPhone 5 for up to three years and can see me regretting being stuck with 3G when the world has moved on.

Is my understanding of the situation correct? Are others also wrestling with this?

2. nataliamck macrumors 6502

I am on O2 and I am going to order the iPhone unlocked directly from Apple then when my contract runs out (early 2013) I will be able to judge which network is better to move to and possibly just get a rolling contract for a lot less.

Seems like this is my only option. Unless I see what Orange price plans are like and buy out the remaining months of my O2 contract.

Will know more once networks announce price plans.

3. JesalTV Guest

Yeah I'm on O2 as well and rather confused as to what to do.

4. x&y macrumors member

Why won't the iPhone 5 work on the O2 4G network?

5. shortcrust thread starter macrumors 6502

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I think you are over-reacting slightly! You make it sound like it's a life or death choice.

There will not be an O2 specific model.

Either live with 3G or change carriers to EE or Three.

7. Big Ells macrumors 6502

Big Ells

I'm on O2 simplicity. I will see what happens when EE roll the 4G out and then decide if I will move.

8. kanesw macrumors regular

kanesw

I think it would just be nice to use a feature that you'll be paying for (hardware wise).

It is a shame since I'm tied into my vodafone contract for another year yet, and I'm sure others will be in a similar situation. It's not reasonable to buy out off your contract and join EE/Three.

I can easily live with 3G but it's just frustrating and disappointing.

9. shortcrust thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha haa, yeah I know I'm being a bit dramatic!:D I am disappointed though. I can't change carriers because O2 is the only carrier that has a decent signal where I live. I had just assumed I would get 4G at some point with the new phone. I'm still using my 3GS that I got on launch day so this upgrade is a big deal for me (I've had to save up my pennies!), and like I said in a previous post, I'll probably be using my iPhone 5 for 3+ years.

There is speculation in the press about an O2 specific model and it's not without precedent. I would be gutted if one was released in six months time and would end up regretting buying next week.

Ho hum!;)

10. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

The more people who move from 02 to ee for LTE the better, that means ee's LTE signal will be running at full capacity and clogging it up(and they are already crap with their 2g and 3g coverage) whilst those remaining on 02 will have less demand on their network and speeds close to or even better than ee's LTE network.

I call on all of you to leave 02 NOW!.

11. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Assuming your iPad is also on Vodafone, you brought it knowing LTE wouldn't be available. Its not much different. Also, don't forget you haven't got Visual Voicemail.

And lets not forget that we haven't got as much functionality as America on our devices as we don't use the same services as much.

When shopping around for a new contract I knew I wouldn't want to be tied in to a long-term contract, so have got a 30 day rolling plan, I don't get an upgrade every x months, but I have portability.

12. tann macrumors 68000

I think people are most upset that even when O2 has it's own LTE network next year their potentially locked in 2 year contract iPhone 5 won't work on it.

Either way, the 5S probably will.

13. kanesw macrumors regular

kanesw

Your assumption is wrong, my iPad isn't locked to any carrier. Don't think I've received more than 3 voicemails since getting my contract but you can't really compare visual voicemail to LTE.

I agree, I was also disappointed by the lack of location services in Siri but at least it was promised in the future.

You make out like I shouldn't be dissapointed that Apple/Vodafone/Ofcom haven't worked together to deliver an important feature of the iPhone 5 that I've be excited about and be paying for.

Exactly

14. JesalTV Guest

Will us O2 users still be able to use HSPA+ on the iPhone 5 then?

15. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

So go 30 day rolling. You can get out with 30 days notice. Most people get tied in to lengthy contracts to get a free or heavily subsidized phone.

I didn't say anything about your iPad being network locked. To be honest, it doesn't matter which network it's on, LTE isn't going to work in the UK.

Comparing VV to LTE was simply meant to show its 2 features which most people have paid for and yet can't use.

The Siri upgrade in iOS 6 is pretty good.

16. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Yes. If you have a look at the video from last night it is mentioned on the slide right after the LTE one.

17. matttye macrumors 601

EE has exclusive rights to build a 4G network for a year anyway don't they? So just wait and get the iPhone 6 if 4G is important.

18. JesalTV Guest

Yeah I remember that but I swear he said something else about it, like O2 are "rolling out" HSPA.

Such a minefield!

19. macgrl macrumors 65816

does anyone have any rough idea how much 4g will cost v 3g in terms of monthly contract price..are there any estimates?

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'm also on O2

There are a whole bunch of things "up in the air" regarding 4G/LTE in the UK.

Voda/O2 may be petitioning to reuse some of the 3G spectrum for 4G, also they can bid for the 20% 4G band that EE don't own (they only have 80%).

We can still use the faster technologies like HSDPA and HSPA+ when available, and as a side issue, with the 5 my 3G speeds have increased 2.5x over my 4s at my home.

I upgraded my ipad 2 to the new ipad, and my 4s to the 5, and in both cases not being able to use 4G wasn't an issue for me personally. Many other features/improvements were more key in my decision.

Besides, I quite like the idea of not burning through my 1GB a month allowance in 30 seconds flat :)