Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
OK, so I called my local O2 store to find some info out...

They have the nano sims now, and are happy to transfer anyone buying an iPhone from Apple. You just need your confirmation/order number from Apple. This is to stop people who think they might get the new iPhone getting a nano sim for the sake of it (as they have contract phones they want to sell).

Pricing of the new iPhone on O2 on PAYG is as follows:

16GB - £550
32GB - £620
64GB - £720

This is £21 more than at Apple and of course it will be locked to the O2 network. But for some could be beneficial as to not queue for hours, travelling etc etc.

Was planning on queuing on Friday morning, but this could be a more viable option. O2 usually let you factory unlock the phone not too long after launch.

Hope this helps some people ;)

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
Fellas.....

Hoping you can give me some guidance. Here's my situation!

I've got an O2 pay monthly contract running in the background that hasn't been used for well over a year now. Been due an upgrade on this since July. However it was on a Blackberry tariff. (I reduced it to lowest tariff £10.51 a month or something). So had to switch to a PAYG O2 sim when I seen the light an bought an iPhone 4 2 years ago. PAYG tariff is £15 top up a month for 100 mins, unlimited text and 500mb data.

I'm now at the stage like many others, where my pre ordered sim free iPhone 5 is being delivered this Friday. However I have no sim to use in it yet. I'm offshore until the 5th of October, so not in a great rush for a sim, but want to choose the right network/plan.

3 are clearly offering the best deal at the moment, but where I live the network is poor, and where I work, when on the vessel 3 don't get a signal according to work colleagues.
I've been with O2 for as long as I can remember (at least 5+years) and have never had any problems with them. Ideally I'd like to stay with O2 to be honest.

So my question is, do I/can I upgrade my original contract to a sim only plan? Or can I switch my PAYG sim to a sim only plan......??:confused:

What do you think I am best doing? I only need 200-300 minutes a month as I'm away half the time......

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2008
Are the payandgo prices correct, where was this info taken from. I went into o2 today and they still didn't have the payandgo prices. I can't believe they will charge £20 more. I was thinking it would be £540, £10 topup on top of Apple retail price.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Got a nano sim from the Trafford Centre store this evening, manager said they received "another 400" this afternoon, so there should be plenty around. Activated in minutes by text.

Fellas.....

Hoping you can give me some guidance. Here's my situation!

I've got an O2 pay monthly contract running in the background that hasn't been used for well over a year now. Been due an upgrade on this since July. However it was on a Blackberry tariff. (I reduced it to lowest tariff £10.51 a month or something). So had to switch to a PAYG O2 sim when I seen the light an bought an iPhone 4 2 years ago. PAYG tariff is £15 top up a month for 100 mins, unlimited text and 500mb data.

I'm now at the stage like many others, where my pre ordered sim free iPhone 5 is being delivered this Friday. However I have no sim to use in it yet. I'm offshore until the 5th of October, so not in a great rush for a sim, but want to choose the right network/plan.

3 are clearly offering the best deal at the moment, but where I live the network is poor, and where I work, when on the vessel 3 don't get a signal according to work colleagues.
I've been with O2 for as long as I can remember (at least 5+years) and have never had any problems with them. Ideally I'd like to stay with O2 to be honest.

So my question is, do I/can I upgrade my original contract to a sim only plan? Or can I switch my PAYG sim to a sim only plan......??:confused:

What do you think I am best doing? I only need 200-300 minutes a month as I'm away half the time......

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

You can switch anything to anything :)

You'll probably get at the very least some account credit for the "upgrade", so that's worth pursuing. Give them a call, explain your situation, they'll sort you out. You can get a lot more for that £15/month.

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2008
Got a nano sim from the Trafford Centre store this evening, manager said they received "another 400" this afternoon, so there should be plenty around. Activated in minutes by text.

You can switch anything to anything :)

You'll probably get at the very least some account credit for the "upgrade", so that's worth pursuing. Give them a call, explain your situation, they'll sort you out. You can get a lot more for that £15/month.

Received nano sims or iPhones.

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2008
Kinda stressing out, on how many iPhones my local store is going to have. Last year there was about 100 in the queue, I was about 40 and I managed to get what I wanted, White 16GB. Hoping it's going to be the same this year as I'm starting to think I might be out of a phone until there in stock. Hope not, my store is opening at 8 this year unlike last where it opened at 9, thinking of queuing at about 6, do people think that's reasonable.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Kinda stressing out, on how many iPhones my local store is going to have. Last year there was about 100 in the queue, I was about 40 and I managed to get what I wanted, White 16GB. Hoping it's going to be the same this year as I'm starting to think I might be out of a phone until there in stock. Hope not, my store is opening at 8 this year unlike last where it opened at 9, thinking of queuing at about 6, do people think that's reasonable.

The last iPhone I bought, I got there at 6 and was 11th in the queue.

This was in 2008...but if it worked for you last year...hype isn't on the same level this year IMO.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
O2 are ridiculous. Been with them since the beginning. When it all began with Genie network. 12+ years. But this Friday I'd have made the move to 3.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Unlimited texts
300 mins
UNLIMITED Internet

£15/month

I LOVE O2!!!

I'm on this exact one till Friday. Three offer it for 9.90 for a 12 month contract. And give you 50quid cash back. Comes down to 5.77/month. Think it's 200mins though.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
So glad Apple sells directly in the UK thus allowing you to avoid dealing with carriers for the most part.

iconboyips

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
OK, so I called my local O2 store to find some info out...

They have the nano sims now, and are happy to transfer anyone buying an iPhone from Apple. You just need your confirmation/order number from Apple. This is to stop people who think they might get the new iPhone getting a nano sim for the sake of it (as they have contract phones they want to sell).

Pricing of the new iPhone on O2 on PAYG is as follows:

16GB - £550
32GB - £620
64GB - £720

This is £21 more than at Apple and of course it will be locked to the O2 network. But for some could be beneficial as to not queue for hours, travelling etc etc.

Was planning on queuing on Friday morning, but this could be a more viable option. O2 usually let you factory unlock the phone not too long after launch.

Hope this helps some people ;)

Does anyone know if retail O2 stores will be opening any earlier tomorrow is it still 9am?

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sorry but £720 for an iPhone is just ridiculous. Can't believe people actually pay that

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I've been looking at how to get an iPhone 5. I'm still on the original iphone contract with unlimited data, but o2 have said they will refuse to sell me an iphone 5 unless I go onto one of their new tariffs.

So im thinking about going onto three mobile..... im not going to give up unlimited data as I use about 4-5gb a month apparently.

O2 can do one.:D

stu.h

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Does anyone know if retail O2 stores will be opening any earlier tomorrow is it still 9am?

The lady I spoke to said it was going to be 9am, but I'm going to double double check later, and check that I can definitely get one on PAYG tomorrow.

Are the payandgo prices correct, where was this info taken from. I went into o2 today and they still didn't have the payandgo prices.

I asked if they had PAYG prices yet, and she got the info from their computer system.

Jimmy2shoes

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
i contacted customer services, and the upgrades department in o2 and neither had the prices for pay as you go yet, they said they will be released tomorrow.

I called my local o2 store and they said they didn't have the prices either, but in their training a graph with £529 for the 16gb came up (the same as sim free from apple).

im guessing that they are all confused or wont know until tonight, apparently my local store closes at 4.30pm this afternoon for preparation, so they said to call back just before then to see if they have any more information.

I really cant see them charging £20 more than apple, i mean apple are usually pretty tight on their pricing structures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.