UK O2 news!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rammy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. rammy macrumors member

EDIT - Apologies, it looks like someone's already beaten me to it

I hope this hasn't been posted already but...

O2 have announced the following:

PAYG iPhone
    Same price tariffs for the iPhone 3G (including a cheaper £30pm contract)
    FREE (YES FREE) upgrade!!! :):):):)

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone

2. mikelucas1 macrumors newbie

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

And in the "Don't need two iPhones" bit.

Someone can re-register your phone on a new tariff or make it pay n go. There are going to be some luck people out there!

4. spib macrumors newbie

I've registered my interest but I'm guessing not many people will actually get one on July 11th. I'm on O2 Simplicity right now so not sure how far down the queue I'll be compared to new customers

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Sadly, the upgrade is only free on the more expensive £45 and £75 per month contracts, while its £99 pounds for the cheaper £30 and £35 contracts. I want to find out what the text and calls limits will be for the cheaper conracts (probably pretty low) but at least all of them have unlimited 3g data.

I wonder how much the PAYG iPhones will be, and what their pricing strategy will be to allow for people wanting to use unlimited data. Some kind of bolt on I would say.

6. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

A free iPhone. That looks a pretty awesome deal if you are a heavy user. For 45 pounds a month it is free whether or not you are upgrading.

7. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

£30 - 125
    £35 - 500

8. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Lol, I'm so blind, thanks for making me take another look. That's terrible minutes and texts for the £30 contract, probably done just to push people onto the £35 contract, which will probably work.

At least everything seems to be at the same as US prices, actually, with the current exhange rate, the Americans are paying £2 more. Yes, I know its sad to be happy about that, but its about time Apple standardised UK pricing with the US.

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Don't know... I started on the £45, but cut back to the £35 when O2 re-jigged things. My usage is low enough that I could probably live with the £30 - which over the course of an 18 month contract adds up to £90 - or a nice chunk of the cost of buying the 3rd gen iPhone (not sure I see any point in springing for this new version). I really want to see if Apple have cut corners on the screen.

Though I wonder if this all means that if I run my 1st Gen iPhone to the end of its contract - can I switch to PayG, or even get O2 to unlock it for use on other networks?

10. theGAPkid macrumors regular

oh yes - PAYG?

bloody brilliant news.

I presume that would mean I could take my current 02 contract sim and put it in and it would work?

Woop!

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Luckily O2's "special" offer runs until 11 October 08 so you'll have a few months to see if it is worth upgrading or waiting for the 3rd Gen iPhone… :)

And listen to the inevitable complaints about build quality and cheap materials… :p :D

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

13. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

No info right now. Logic and sanity would say "yes". But in O2 we are not dealing with reasonable or sane people (not given the price gouging the mobile phone industry delights in partaking of).

14. theGAPkid macrumors regular

This quote, directly from the 02 website, makes me worried. Does this mean they're providing a special PAYG sim card for iPhone? Thats how I read it :confused:

15. jagardner1984 macrumors newbie

Just fantastic news, when they announced the price drop yesterday, I thought I had lost out big time, but now I get a free upgrade, the same deal (I was really expecting "Fair Usage" on 3G data) and still have a phone which even if the SIM card is pulled out and never used as a phone again, which is unlikely, is still cheaper then the equivalent iPod Touch.

Fantastic, I dont think Apple can imagine what a PR triumph this is, especially outside the USA. Given the iPhone faltered outside of the US (I say that as one of its most ardent fans), this could really be the start of something big, I would say.

16. cdfpaul macrumors newbie

O2/Apple rip-off

I have a 16GB iPhone on a £35 a month contract. It will cost me £150 to upgrade to a 3G version. Don't call this a good deal when other contracts are giving them away free (8GB) or very cheap 16GB. :( Still love my iPhone though, best mobile I have ever had. ;)

17. saeybia macrumors newbie

Ok, so O2 are allowing us to upgrade for free, even if we are within a contract does that mean we would start a NEW 18 month contract and thats it, or does it mean we will take a new 18 month contract PLUS add the remaining amount of time from our OLD contract to our new one?

Eg, in July I will have 10 months remaining, would that make my new contract length 28 months? or would it just be 18?

This will be the deal breaker for me, Im would not be happy extending to 28 months, what would happen if the next iphone came out next year, Id keep extending, and extending!!

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It'll just be 18.

Phazer

19. saeybia macrumors newbie