UK O2: When iPhone v3 comes out can I upgrade from iPhone 3G if I buy it on 11/07?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applemax, Jun 27, 2008.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi

I might buy a 16GB iPhone 3G on the 11th, but if a v3 iPhone comes out, say, Christmas, even though I'm only 5 or so months into the contract, is there any way I can get it without signing another new extra contract or will I have to wait 18 months before I can change the model?

Cheers :)

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

that is a good question, I don't know why apple and at&t would try to prevent people from buying their product, but then again, that is what it looks like they are gonna do now

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

There won't be a v3 that fast, but if say a 32gb model came out you could upgrade by buying your way out of the contract (costing your monthly fee * remaining months), or possibly getting a payT one and swappng the SIM (but we don't know whether that will work yet).

Basically there isn't a way around the 18 month contract unless O2 get *really* nice, and they aren't going to do that after 5 months. Possibly after 12 months if a new iphone comes out next year.

4. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Right, so where do the people stand who bought a v1 iPhone if they want to get an iPhone 3G? They have 11 months left so do they have to wait?

5. calculus Guest

calculus

My understanding is that you can upgrade straight away but your eighteen months starts afresh...

6. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Ah right, that's fine - hope that is the case.

7. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

This conerned me for a while, as I expect the v3 will be a significant improvement as personally I don't think the iPhone 3G is really a great step forward hardware wise. The bigger difference comes from the app store and mobileme.
    I imagine when the v3 comes out I'll want it bad. However it probably won't be for a year or so again so I'd expect O2 to have the same policy they have now being:

"To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the iPhone 3G when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract."

Means they can get you to sign a new 18 month contract and buy a new phone. Not much reason for them not to do that again next time! (unless of course apple do something with the iPhone v3 that prevents it/makes it financially inviable)

8. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

So do people who take this mid-contract upgrade pay the subsidised price (£99/£159) or the unsubsidised price (~£299)?

9. calculus Guest

calculus

It's the subsidised price...

10. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Same subsidized price as new customers. Its all on the O2 site, just have a look.

11. ACDeag macrumors regular

It's different this time, O2 are subsidising it, I doubt they will be prepared to abandon their subsidy after a few months and subsidise another phone for you.

If you take the subsidy you will have to keep the phone until the end of the contract.

12. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I think they should let you buy an unsubsidised iPhone v3 and just change the sims or something. You shouldn't need to restart your contract that way.

I'm an existing iPhone user so I'm getting a subsidised upgrade yay.

My girlfriend is about 6 months into her contract with o2 (she got an N95 8Gb Black), we don't expect her to be able to upgrade because o2 need to redeem the cost of the phone and make a profit, however if she could buy an iPhone unsubsidised and sell her N95 and change the sims, o2 would still redeem the cost of the N95 during the rest of her contract.

However I know this isn't the case so far, they are saying she'd have to pay (line rental) x (months left on contract). That's fine if she expected a subsidised iPhone but I think she'd be willing to pay full price for the iPhone and restart her contract.

13. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Just got an official response:

Hello,

Thank you for emailing us and showing your interest in the new iPhone 3G.

I understand your concern about upgrading your iPhone contract. Normally, we do allow our iPhone customers to upgrade their contracts but as the new iPhone 3G hasn't yet been launched on our network, I'm unable to confirm if you'll be eligible to upgrade to the new iPhone early, if it launches in future.

14. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Has anyone heard any more new information about this? :)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Just curious about an update on this.
    If the v3 iPhone is coming out in June/July, this is more for those who got their first iPhone as an iPhone 3G last summer -

Is everyone's first time to upgrade time the same? Mine's 27th February, so i'm wondering if this is a fixed period through the contract.

No real details from O2 currently about any potential upgrade costs if you were to get a new contract for a v3 iPhone come the release date afaik

16. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone is going to know this fact right up until the last minute!

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'm not too concerned, because the rep basically said you're free to upgrade from the ened of the month. It owuld be interesting to see if the carriers had been wise enough to have their subsidy paid back within the year - maybe there will be staggered prices based on your plan (£35, 40, 45 per month etc) with the top end plans getting a better deal (like how there is no charge for tha handset for the top end plan for the iPhone 3G).