UK owners, anyone on GiffGaff?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauliphone, Mar 27, 2012.

1. pauliphone macrumors regular

I'm currently on O2, but my contract is up next month. I was looking to switch to a sim only plan to save cash.
    I saw GiffGaff do a pay as you go 'goodybag' for £10 per month which gives unlimited data, Unlimited texts and 250 mins. This would be perfect for me as I mainly text and use data.

I just wondered what experiences people have had with them, I understand that they run on the O2 network, but will I get the same data speeds etc, I'm worried that O2 slow the data down for non-customers so to speak?

2. OneBigFatNinja macrumors member

Guy I work with has his htc smartphone on Giff gaff and his family are ALL on it too as its free calls n texts. He hasn't had any issues with speed or data. Plus they are all 30 rolling contracts so try it and if you find it is slower than O2 just cancel. Free sim too.

3. Zxxv macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted

We're on it and no problems.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I discussed changing from O2 to Giff Gaff (same company I know) I was told that "Certain features are not available"? I think Visual Mail was one, I decided to stick with O2, but friends who are with Giff Gaff report no problems.....But they are not using iPhones.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

02 don't allow visual voice mail on payg and as far as I'm aware neither do giff gaff.

Its not a deal breaker for me tho.

Im on 02 and also have a giff gaff sim although I've not activated it yet.

As others have said, try it and see.

They do have a forum so why not pop over and take a read of some of their users opinions and ask questions !

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

The service is good when it works but they often have problems. Only 2 weeks ago no one on GiffGaff had service for 8 hours. When it is working data speeds are exactly the same as O2. Call priority is lower and you are more likely to get busy tones but that is very rare.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm on a contract with O2, but its not binding, I own my phone...I don't use VM but I do use FaceTime a lot, I think that was another of the features not available with Giff Gaff....Shame, because the prices are a lot better.

8. pauliphone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your feedback guys, I'll think I'll give it a go. I was hesitant as don't really want to change and then switch back a month later due to the aggro of porting my number twice.

I'm not too bothered about not having visual voicemail, as far as I know FaceTime only works over wifi anyway so the mobile network shouldn't have any bearing on it.

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I am on giffgaff for over one year and so far its been great, apart from the odd blip here and there with a network outage. Spending £10 a month for 250mins, unlimited texts and data is fantastic considering what most (and myself in the past) pay for O2 or other networks: £25/35 at least a month for a reasonable tariff. Shame no visual voice mail, but that's hardly important, there is an app which provides a good voice mail service called Hullomail.
    You wont regret spending less on your mobile bill and its great if friends or family are on it too as its free calls to other giffgaff users.
    Go for it!

10. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

FaceTime and iMessage work just fine on GiffGaff. Just VV.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

It's a little worrying regarding the network outage !

I have taken a look at the giffgaff forum before and their was talk of removing the unlimited data as some were tethering other devices to it.

Still good price tho as long as it works.

----------

I prefer to buy my iPhone too as I don't like to be locked into long contracts.
    Just my choice.

I don't think i would port my number but maybe use the giffgaff Internet as a fall back if needed.

12. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

I have a giffgaff SIM in my iPhone and one in my iPad and both work fine. I buy the £10 Goodybag every month for my iPhone and just use airtime credit for my iPad with the occasional £5 Gigabag when I'm going away with my iPad. I get about £10 payback every month for helping in the forums too which pays for my Goodybag. I've not experienced any problems and I didn't even notice the network outage that happened a few weeks ago, which was caused by a burst pipe. I couldn't be happier with giffgaff.

13. salacious macrumors 6502a

i use giffgaff on my 4s, never had any problems, £10 a month too, pay as you go, no contract worries or anything, free calls to giffgaff and texts for up to 2 months after your last top up which iv converted around half of my friends and family to, internet speeds i get are around 3-4mps on the speed test which for me is decent i can watch youtube and anything else without lag, visual voicemail? dont use it and i certainly dont have any voicemails a pretty pointless arguement if you want visual voicemail for £25 a month then you should consider that there are more important things in life than spending money on a crap feature which you can just as easily call up to hear without the extra £15...

oh yeah the goodybag at £10 isnt actually credit so whatever numbers the free calls allow is what you can call, for 0800 numbers call 0800buster google it, thats how i get around most things, but for mobiles and landlines you dont really need much else.

giffgaff 9/10 for me, not a full ten because you have to buy seperate credit not handy when you want to call 0845..

my £1