UK parliament committee: Murdoch not fit to run multinational company

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 1, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Breaking news right now on the Reuters website.

Well, there likely goes BSkyB...and who knows what else?

Another article from Reuters for background and possible implications.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is great news for all people who like the news to be the grounded in the truth.

I really do hope that this is the last of this disgusting man's hold over this news company.

As the Sun would say Gotcha

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, well, so Cameron's own E-mails were forcing him to play-along?

Bye, bye.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There is no way the US government can ignore this. Since News Inc. is an American company, both Murdochs will face prosecution. I only hope that Roger Ailes gets strung up too.

5. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Partisan scrap of paper that's not worth wiping your backside with. Of course, the BBC are having a field day, and the the use of 'international' sets CNBC's juices flowing.

Tom Watson's ego trip continues.

Cheers,
    OW

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Unfortunately, it seems that Murdoch has exactly what it takes to run a multinational company today.

Maybe that needs to be changed.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely - it is a great day for democracy and for the idea of pluralist media ownership (and content). A dreadful man, and I sincerely hope that his excessive power to dictate policy, discourse and tone has been curbed and diluted, if not ended.

One of the more depressing features of this saga has been the eagerness and willingness of virtually the political elite to curry favour - and thereby sell their souls with regard to issues such as standards and media ownership - in the most spineless fashion with this dreadful man and his appalling media empire.

Yes, indeed.

Must say, I like your sig.....;)

Couldn't agree more.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

We need MP's to tell us this? :rolleyes: Hands up if you think Murdoch should be in charge of the biggest news organization on the planet.

[crickets]

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Question for any UK'ers. What is the binding and/or legal effect of the parliament committee's action? I skimmed the article but didn't see it.

10. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Because of the 'contempt', I think Parliament can vote to summon the relevant parties to apologise - 'You've been a naughty boy.' / 'Sorry.' - though Tommy Boy is probably trying to get the Tower involved.

Cheers,
    OW

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think its binding, but it is highly embarrassing and might be taken into account by the regulator.

I doubt BSkyB will shut, though Murdoch may well have to sell his stake in it.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks. That's what I assumed but wasn't sure.

The "embarrassment factor" in the UK seems stronger than in the US. A governmental/public reprimand in the US may be worn as a badge of honor by certain private business owners.

13. calb, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

calb macrumors 6502

A committee report of this kind is very rare in the UK, and the circumstances nigh on unprecedented. I don't think there's anyone who's been held in contempt of Parliament for decades, and there hasn't been a fiscal penalty since the 17th century.

If anything it's likely to get Parliament to consider legislating on what sanctions would be desirable in the future.

Edit: Regarding my above comments, this is in the sphere of Hinton/Crone/Myler (i.e. those who the committee finds have misled Parliament). The report will be tabled before Parliament to see if Parliament supports the committee's conclusions (on misleading it certainly will), and to decide whether anything else is necessary (e.g. an apology, something more radical, or perhaps nothing).

The committee has refrained from being too critical of Brooks, Coulson, or any others who are being investigated by the police so as to not prejudice any future trials which may or may not happen.

The Murdochs have not been found to mislead Parliament, but the committee believes there has been a failure of corporate governance coupled with wilful blindness (Rupert) and wilful ignorance (James) among other comments.

Edit 2: This CNN article explains some of the significance from an Murdoch/US/shareholder POV. http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/01/opinion/murdoch-uk-cathcart/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Her paper would often tell us that Britain's jails are like holiday camps where criminals lead pampered lives, so I'm sure she's not worried at the prospect of ending up in one. :p

16. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe now she's a hardened crim she can appear on the next series of "Ross Kemp Does Dangerous Things". Mind you, given the way things went when they were married he'll probably take another trip to Afghanistan. Much safer.

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Finally.
    I just wonder how long Minster Hunt can carry on?

18. Queso macrumors G4

Or James Murdoch for that matter. Even his moonlight flit to the US won't help if the Feds get involved.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the early days of corporations, this alone might have been enough to get a corporation dissolved.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

The only thing he is fit for, is shooting in the face tbh.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Camerons mate Andy Coulson arrested possibly charged with perjury.It concerns the Tommy Sheridan case in Scotland.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is great news, another of the lying bastards down.:D

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Coulson charged with perjury.In the same court case Sheridan got three years (although he's out after one) so Coulson can't expect less plus in the Scottish law system perjury is considered a worse crime than under the English system.This possibly may bring down the coalition government in the U.K.

24. Queso macrumors G4

I have to say I hope not. Eds Milliband and Balls getting near the levers of government doesn't exactly fill me with happy thoughts about the future.

Cameron really has blown it though. If he's wise he'll step aside and let another moderate take his place. Otherwise come the Tory conference some anti-EU anti-equality anti-everything-except-money-and-religion whackjob is going to push for the leadership, which really would tear the coalition apart if successful.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Let's see how this changes Fox News... I'm not holding my breath. Some Murdoch approved minion is waiting in the wings to continue the good fight.