UK Parliament Very Vocal About Trump's Visit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jan 31, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

And nearly lost the Falklands.

3. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Look, some leftists are angry. Isn't it a good day when some lefties are pissed off?

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If Labour was in power, Scotland would been surrendered to Argentina as a repayment for the war.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It seems to me that liberals will have very long four to eight years.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2017 ---
    I thought they drink tea.
    #stereotypes

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

Yesterday, Brexit . Today, President Trump's State Visit . Tomorrow, Larry the Cat.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Beanist.

9. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

And don't get me started on Grenada. At least we liberated our medical students. Ooh Rah :mad:

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Trump was kinda unlucky that there was nothing more important to be discussed in the parliament this week........

11. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

More pissed off lefties?
    Good, it means Donnie is doing good. :)

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's a great day when righties align themselves with someone who mocks the disabled, who bullies people on twitter and who talks about grabbing P. Shows their true deplorable values.

The Republican party will own Donald Trump. Not just anything good he happens to do, but all the bad, all the chaos, all the incompetence and ultimately all the corruption. Oh, and any war or anything bad that befalls the U.S. too. I look forward to the spin those on the right will attempt.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That's part of why I figure he will be gone soon. A balancing act... cranking through their agenda while keeping an eye on the damages being totted up by their unruly King hemmed up in the White House. They want to get what they can and move on to Prez Pence before the midterms so the Dems don't hang so much disaster on them. If they can't own it name it impeach it dismiss it --and the sum of "it" is really pretty bad-- then the Dems have a shot at retaking the Senate even in a terrible defense cycle for them. As McConnell well knows, even if all you have is the Senate, that's worth having.

14. Eraserhead, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually Labour had to goad Thatcher into going...

Plenty of Tories were against the war - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ntold-story-of-the-falklands-war-8544805.html
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2017 ---
    If Trump stays unpopular the Democratic Party will get the house too.

Still it's early days. The Supreme Court pick seems OK.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It is high time the British Government, as embodied by the Members of Parliament, took a stand for something.

And saying, politely and respectfully, "No thanks" to a State Visit from Donald Trump would set a very clear standard. Britain needs to make no excuses for its commitment to the United States, and to the Transatlantic Alliance that has kept the world safe from tyranny - be it Imperial or Nazi Germany. Soviet Russia or the criminals of al-Quaeda or ISIS - for more than a Century.

But a State Visit is an honor to be bestowed on a Head of State who has demonstrated an appropriate level of respect and friendship for Britain and her people. All her people. Including people such as Sir Mo Farad, who was born in Somalia, and is Muslim. And who is at present rightly unsure as to the wisdom of getting on an airplane to fly to visit his wife and children in the United States.

And Donald Trump has not demonstrated an appropriate level of respect to Britain, nor to its people. He has threatened to undo the NATO alliance. He has torn up trade deals. He has threatened to welch on the United States own financial instruments. President Trump needs to learn that respect is something to be earned. He has threatened and lied to the people of Scotland. He has denigrated and lied about Muslims, now the largest religious minority in the UK.

Time for the Members of the House to tell Prime Minister May that the time for leadership and strength is long since past. Friendship and trust are a two way street. And President Trump has shown neither. Britain is better off enduring a week or two Trumpian Twitterscorn, than an eternity of shame for enabling a racist bully to make second class citizens - not just of the world's Muslims - but of every trading partner and military ally of the United States.

Trust me, Members of Parliament, Americans of all political persuasions will be forever in your debt if you strike the first undeniable blow against the looming catastrophe of Trumpism.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Would be nice if our government stood up for something. But with Brexit looming and Trump being the yellow snowflake he is, they won't be able to criticise him without a tantrum being thrown. So nothing will happen. But, knowing my local MP's thoughts on Trump and how shared similar thoughts are - well.

17. zin macrumors 6502

Seems to be the new way to deal with things when you disagree. Shout and cry and stamp your feet.

18. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

It is a good day when we have a president that will put pro-lifers in the SC. It is a great day when we have a president that accepts simple truths like the fact that, proportionally, Christians suffer much greater persecution than any other group in the ME, and that it is not only ISIS that is responsible for this persecution, but also muslim groups regarded as "moderate". It is a great day when America has a president who will favour American businesses and job creation in America. And, most importantly, it is a great day when America has a president who will not be cowered by a bunch of liberal one-percenters.

As for his corruption and incompetence, that is only surmised. But I am behind this president 100%, for the good and for the bad. And you know why? Because I've seen plenty of liberal hypocrisy, of people who will sanctimoniously push that PC bs in public, while being horribly derisive in private, mocking people for their looks, intelligence, and bragging about having duped others. Trump gets abuse and he fights back, in public. Perhaps not in the most elegant way, but that's his style. And even if the worst of the worst is true, like paying hookers to piss on a bed, it is nothing compared to the moral rottenness and hypocrisy of the other side.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That and protesting is pretty much how this country was founded. So I'm good with it. I can understand why you might be bitter about that though.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    So you think fighting hypocrisy with hypocrisy it the way to go? Noted.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....What concrete actions other than speaking out do you think a foreign nation should take? :rolleyes:

21. zin macrumors 6502

He won a democratic election. It's a very weak position to claim he shouldn't meet his British counterparts.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who claimed that, and how was that a response to my question?

I'm asking other than voicing their displeasure, what should the UK Parliament have done about the election results in an entirely different country? Other than "shout and cry and stamp your feet"?

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well a lot of members of the right seem to think that you just sit in your living room stewing for 4-8 years and then go vote differently. At least that's what I've gathered from the whining/dismissive comments about protesting, email and phone campaigns, etc.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

And accepting a visit from one of the vilest rulers in the world, one that keeps all the wealth of his nation for himself (and his family), that doesn't allow women to drive, that arrest and maybe condemn to death gays and liberals, that put a ban on freedom of religion (of any kind), was married over 30 times, and jails for adultery raped women, and kills blogger for what they say... is fine???????
    GIVE ME A ***** BREAK. You just don't like Trump the man, admit it and don't pretend that it's because of policy.

[​IMG]

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh....are you talking to the forum or is this at the Parliament?