[UK People] Anyone rung around Apple stores about White iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abcmsaj, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Abcmsaj macrumors member

Abcmsaj

Just wondering. I heard a rumour that they were going to have small amounts of the white one in, but I don't live anywhere near an Apple store... My closest is probably Cardiff, followed by Bristol, then Birmingham.. So if it's true, I want to wake up early to drive out there and get near the front of the queue! So... any news? :) :apple:

2. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

there are no white iphones at launch. they will be available later this summer.

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Can you post a link to that press release made by Apple? I unfortunately missed that one, guess it wasn't big news...

Anyway, OP, no one knows. Apple is keeping silent on this issue. It may happen, it may not happen. Your best bet is waiting to hear something from Apple directly next week, or calling an Apple store on Wednesday night, as shipments should have arrived at that point.

The "later this summer" date for the white iPhone has only been announced by third-party retailers, NOT Apple.

4. finatk macrumors regular

I rang round 4 different Apple stores and funnily enough they gave the exact same answer;

" We are not going to say there are not going to be any available on launch day, but as you have probably seen on the website they are not available for pre-order. Sorry I couldn't of been any more help check back with us on Thursday"

The fact that each store said the same thing leads me to believe that Apple have released a press statement to it's staff.

Our delivery to the O2 store I work at will be arriving approx 3-4pm Wed 23rd so I will get stuck in and take a sneak peak and will report back with the findings :D

5. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Surely a statement like that suggests that there is more of a chance that there'll be white iPhones on launch day than there not.

The staff are all giving the same replies indicating that Apple have told their employees what to say regarding white iPhones. Obviously Apple themselves know whether or not they will be released, so if they weren't going to, wouldn't they just tell their employees toi tell the customer that white iPhones will not be available on launch day rather than give an ambiguous reply?

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/white-iphone-4-likely-not-available-at-launch/

It's not from apple but it's from AT&T.

Secondly: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Directly on the apple site it says not available for pre order or in store pickup.

To hold off hoping for a white is one thing. To hold off expecting them at launch is just ignoring the facts. It is not going to be available at launch.

7. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

So why don't the Apple just tell their staff to inform customers that white will not be available straight out rather than just BS-ing with answers like the one above?!

Surely if they know they won't be released on launch day why bother asking people to come in/call up to check on Thursday?! Makes me angry!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. db2431 macrumors regular

Simple, from the polls Ive seen over a 3rd want the iphone 4 White, if they announce it wont be on sale then that 3rd wont turn up to queue at stores, better to let you queue and find out no white then and buy a black instead because the white fans cant wait to get hold of ANY iphone 4.

9. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Apple is more upset they won't have white iphones then you. Nothing would make them happier then to have sold over 1 million preorders on day one. Theywant to sell as many phones as possible. If they released a date now on when white will be available it might get people to cancel their blacks or hold off getting a black one and wait for the white. By keeping it hush hush they will bank on eager customers to not gamble on the wait and buy now. It might not make you happy but it is the smartest business move they can make in this unforeseen manufacturing delay that caused the iphones to not be ready on time.

10. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I suppose that does make sense... the barstewards!!!:mad::mad::mad:

11. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

I feel your pain. I wanted white as well

12. Abcmsaj thread starter macrumors member

Abcmsaj

Just rung Cardiff and they basically told me "we know as much as you at the moment... we've heard nothing directly from head office but we're keeping our fingers crossed"

The problem I have is that my nearest Apple store is Cardiff which is 1.5 hours drive away. I might go down on the 23rd and spend the day lurking near the Bay and then just wait outside St Davids Centre 2 until 8am.

How stupid will I look if I'm front of the queue and I leave the shop as soon as I'm let in though? Just because they have no white ones?

Also, nobody will get deliveries at the night. Carphone told me their delivery is going to be at 6am on the day, and they won't even know what stock they have until they open the box..

13. Alith macrumors 6502

It's been the same the last two years, at least in the UK. I reserved a black 16GB at a store but Im guessing there will be a small number of white models that will be gone within the first few hours.

I'm not massively fussed either way but if they have white there then Ill get it.

14. stuartteach macrumors member

When I was in the 02 store in swansea yesterday the people in there told me to assume there will only be black phones but there may be White ones coming in- also asked in carphone warehouse and they said there's no reason why they won't have White in and to call in wednesday afternoon as they will will have had the stock in by then and can tell me if they have any in!

Try asking in carphone warehouse folks! Can still upgrade ur contracts there on Thursday!

15. Gagoots macrumors regular

IF you want a white phone for launch, go to best buy.

16. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I'm not saying it will be available for launch. I highly doubt it will be. What I'm saying is apple has so far not said it wont be available for launch. The only thing your post tells me is: 1. AT&T has stated later this summer. Okay great! AT&T is not apple. And 2. Apple hasn't accepted to white iPhone pre-order or reservations. No link you provided proves that white will be unavailable on launch day from an apple retail store.

17. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

My local Orange store have told me they WILL be carrying both the Black and White in both 32GB and 16GB. I have already pre-ordered a 32GB White from them.

18. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Firstly, its a UK thread - Its in the Topic Title, so AT&T doesn't really apply to us ;)

Secondly, Thats the US Apple store the UK one leaves it open with the statement "White iPhone currently unavailable for pre-order." Which doesn't necessarily mean it wont be in stores on launch day, just that they are not taking pre-orders on them.

I say watch out as White iPhones could be about!!!

19. finatk macrumors regular

I will stay true to my word guys / girls our stock is still on track for being delivered to the store at 4pm Wed 23rd June.

We have to get our demo units out on display and prep the store for the launch as soon as we close up, so I will report asap whether there are any White iPhone4's lurking in our stock.

20. Abcmsaj thread starter macrumors member

Abcmsaj

thanks so much. im genuinely considering driving all the way down to Cardiff and camping in the cold, a day before my Bio exam. Wow. haha

21. finatk macrumors regular

Possibly not looking good chaps :(

Found this reply on twitter to someone asking in regards to White 16Gb iPhone4 stock;

"@O2 @sevendotzero We're not getting any and you'd need to check with Apple for exact dates I'm afraid"

This is O2's twitter account managed by the O2 Press Office, So unless they have been advised to give this reply for the time being...who knows.

Any way I will let you know Wednesday whatever the outcome is when I open our stock.

22. Abcmsaj thread starter macrumors member

Abcmsaj

What time do you reckon you'll get stock in? And is your store Cardiff, Bristol, Bristol #2 or Birmingham coz those are my 4 closest.. :p

If I find out Apple will be stocking White ones on 1st come 1st served before 9pm on Wednesday, I'll make the journey in the night. Otherwise... I don't want to waste petrol and be disappoint :(

23. vito macrumors 6502a

I have called 5 different Orange stores and the problem is if you called in and reserved last week or yesterday (Monday 21st) then systems were showing contract, pay and go and in black/white. Today they have an exact stock incoming manifest and there are no white iPhones to speak off.

CPW Bolton have said no white iPhone as the manager wants one as rung around other stores which have the same story!

I don't know what to do

24. Abcmsaj thread starter macrumors member

Abcmsaj

I really don't think that any carriers will have White ones if they do exist yet. I think it would just be Apple stores.. my CPW friends said they weren't getting any in, and O2 and VF have confirmed it too.

25. LondonCentral macrumors 6502

One thing's for sure, I really hope they have at least a couple of white ones on display in Apple stores. That's the minimum they can do for those of us who want white. We won't mind waiting if it looks as good as we expect.