UK Police To Easily Extract Data From Suspects Phones

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kolax, May 17, 2012.

1. kolax macrumors G3

[​IMG]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18102793

The report doesn't cover the specifics on how they are extracting the data and what mobile phones are supported. I'm curious how they are managing to do this from a technology point of view and a human rights point of view.

Would modern day smart phones be able to have data extracted out of them so easily? I'd have thought an iPhone would have to be jailbroken before you could carry out such an activity successfully. The report suggests it's a simple plug it in and press a button approach.

The report does say mobile phone, not smart phone, so maybe they are targeting criminals still using cheap Nokia 3310's. Still, I'd hate my phone's data to be extracted and stored indefinitely even if I were released without any charge (regardless of how suspicious I was - that's all subject to the officers involved). My phone has everything on it - they'd get less information from my laptop.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The crooks know about GPS. ;)

You think you turned it off, but did you? :rolleyes:

3. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

The police can locate a phone using information from the service providers. It's called triangulation. They don't need to extract anything from the phone itself.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, if it's turned on.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

There's a massive difference between tracking phones, and copying there data.

Anyways, if i ever get nicked and there's something on there I dont want them to see I'll invoke my free phone call, and get my mate to remote wipe it.

Not that there'd be eanything I wouldnt want the scum to see on there of course.:D

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

When a friend bought an iphone recently, as part of helping her set up the phone all of her info was quite easily transferred from her Blackberry to the new iphone while she was at the Apple store. It was just a matter of plugging in a cable and running a program they had...if it's so easy for the crew at the Apple store, I would say your police will have little problem copying your info