UK Prime Minister wants a greater role for religion in society

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Apr 16, 2014.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Frankly this reminds me of certain Republicans in the U.S. and it seems their religious talk is bleeding over the Atlantic bit by bit.

I can't wait for this government to be thrown out to the trash where it belongs, IMO.

2. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Yes, this is a little depressing.

I have no problem with faith (I'm not a believer nor wholly an atheist) but I'm not a fan of religion and would rather our politicians kept it out of their posturing. The censorship/internet filters that are being introduced into the UK were pushed by two religious groups advising the idiot MP Clare Perry.

I had hoped we'd see less of a Nanny State under the Coalition but they've been every bit as bad as New Labour.

Incidentally, it's interesting to hear that Cameron says he's an Evangelical Christian when he seems to have been enforcing policies that victimise the poorest people in the country. Surely that's the antithesis of what Christ tried to do?

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

UK Prime Minister wants a good shoeing

I guess this fits with the Big Society scam: more godliness = more charitable giving = more tins of tomato soup donated to food banks = super, we can reduce benefits to the unemployed, under-employed, under-paid, and infirm

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You know, this is an interesting point that has yet to be brought forward. Jesus said some stuff about how we should treat each other, but he never "tried to do" anything of the sort. Because, you see, he was the guy on the donkey, not the guy on the big chair in the marble palace.

Which is to say, as wise as he might have been, Jesus never ran a country, or a province, or anything bigger than a baker's dozen. He was an outsider, not a leader, that is not the type of person upon which we should base a government. It is easy to say stuff, it is much more difficult to do stuff.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Cameron's problem is that the right wing vote is being split by UKIP like Labours was in the recent past.

And that thanks to the Lib Dems incompetence Labour will get a lot of votes from left wing people who used to vote for them.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

If anything it shows how oblivious older politicians are to the reality & future of religion in their country. It's a last ditch effort to get older voters.

just make a poll people aged <35 and you know that classic religions are within their last breaths in western europe

From all the people at my age i know perhaps 3 devout christians. And 2 of those are married.
    The war generation is dying and the baby boomers, which upheld religion just for tradition, are entering retirement. And they hardly seem to start visiting church now.

In Austria last year _11_ catholic priests finished their education. Around 100 retired.

7. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I don't see a problem at all, biblical morals are righteous!

Stoning children to death for being naughty, allowing slavery and killing psychics and selling your daughter into sexual slavery among many other things!

All good moral stuff!

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A clueless PM appealing to the Reactionary Angry. I didn't think that even he could stoop that low. As somebody said on Radio4 this morning, if the UK is a Christian country then the UK is a white, female, heterosexual country.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

> Allows gay marriage despite Christian backlash.
    > Wants Britain to be more Christian.

Mixed messages much Cameron? I have no problem with people believing, but as a none believer the last thing I want is people forcing it down my neck. Let them who believe, believe and let them who don't, don't. Religion is a dying trend in this country and I'm happy to let it continue that way. It is time to move onwards and upwards.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

We are SO sorry.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm pretty sure you are just looking for an escape goat, Europe has had more religious extremism than the US could ever dream of in its past.

----------

They shipped the religion over here, they should be apologizing.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Good point! I never quite thought of it that way...

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think it is important to keep in mind the fact that Britain does not have a written Constitution. There is no law mandating a separation between Church and State.

In fact rather the opposite: Britain's Sovereign is also by law the Head of the Church of England. And a great deal of Britain's modern history can be directly traced to the founding of the English Church at the time of Henry VIII.

Now, in practice, Britain's Government and society have become remarkably accepting of diverse religions. Far more so than many US communities. And religion these days pay all but no role in determining social policies such as abortion and gay rights.

Britain is a very different country from the US, with a different society and history. Don't read Cameron's remarks the same as one would coming from a US politician.

14. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Technically, you took it with you. :p

People left England/Europe to avoid religious persecution. Then once established used religion to persecute people.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Well now you're just splitting hairs. :D

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

David Cameron is studying for the spelling bee, and just learned "antidisestablishmentarianism".

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The bit near the bottom of the story is just messed up. Obviously, the CofE is not so keen on the idea of gay marriage, but now they are saying the government should not allow straight civil partnership. Cor.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

This is an admission from Cameron he's gone,brit politics doesn't do religion even Blair was told to keep his mouth shut until he was out of office.
    I have no idea what Camerons motivation for this is but the lucrative speaking circuit in the US is probably factored in there somewhere.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

20. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

21. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Reading this thread, I was thinking: if this guy wants to see what this is like, come to the US. He can watch what happens when religious leaders take over the school curriculum. But reading your post, it's suddenly clear. He already has.

He's a politician looking for political advantage. And seeing how much political advantage religion provides politicians here (and at such a low cost), what self respecting power broker could resist that?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

David Cameron is giving Old Etonians a bad name.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I think this is a real shame. Even though the Church of England is officially the state religion for the last god knows how many years the country has effectively become secular. Bringing religion into politics now is a mistake and goes against the evidence which suggests that Christianity is actually falling in this country. Give it another 10 years and Christians will be in a minority in this country.

Bad move from Cameron. Keep British politics secular in the future please.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

And yet the Declaration of Independence is not the basis for any single law in the US. It really doesn't mean anything beyond back when it was used to say "We're leaving you, here's why". So I don't get the relevance of bringing it up.