[UK] Question Time Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Saladinos, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread where you can comment about that week's episode of Question Time.

Who on the panel (or in the audience) echoed your views? What are your views on the topics presented in the discussion this week?

June 11th 2009
    The dominating topic was the election of two BNP politicians to the European Parliament. The panel also discussed whether or not Gordon Brown was deluded or defiant in staying as Prime Minister. They also discussed if the Tory announcement that all public spending (other than health and foreign aid) would be cut by 10% in real terms between 2011 and 2014 was reasonable.
    Panel: Peter Hain, <rest coming when I can find them>

2. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Well, this doesn't seem to be going very far, so I'll try give it a boost by saying that i quite liked Peter Hain - he was thoughtful and didn't give the ridiculous answers Labour have been giving lately.

However, when the issue of not bailing out LDV came up, I felt he could have done better. It was argued that the £50M it would have cost for the bail-out is less than would be paid for skills training and unemployment benefits. The government knows this - they pay advisors to crunch the numbers and analyse things to death. The fact is the company was not profitable, and as sad as it is to let these people go, the country would be better served putting that £50M in to skills training than propping up a sinking ship.

Of course, everybody seems to abhor the BNP election. However, not enough blame has been put on the voters. It's not Labours fault the BNP gained a foothold in Europe - it's the people of Manchester and Yorkshire who should be feeling ashamed of themselves. People in Britain are entirely ignorant of the benefits Europe gives them - billions in small business funding, massive amounts of trade with Europe, massive amounts of trade from other countries piggybacked through Europe, increased co-operation in crime fighting, freer borders...etc. In that respect, Labour is to blame for not making the people of Britain realise how much they need Europe.

There, that should start a bit of debate going :)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think the problem might be that not many people may have seen that particular programme, and many of the issues that you mentioned are already covered in other threads in PRSI. ;)

More to the point, those who couldn't be bothered to go along to their polling station. Their apathy was a key reason the BNP were able to win their seats.

I live in Yorkshire, I voted (not for the BNP, obviously), and while I feel highly embarrassed that a BNP member was one of those elected to represent me I feel I personally have nothing to be ashamed about.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Stupidly I didn't think to watch it - bet it was really juicy too, probably the best QT of the year :(

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

Missed it, dont always watch it, some of the panel talking **** can piss you off before bed. The more independent panellists always seem to have an interesting view though.

The one when the expenses scandal started was entertaining.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yeah that grates me about QT.. often you get some fool on there just to save face from recent bad publicity and they give them too much air time, and people with balanced POVs very often from the crowd get cut off..

7. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Well the idea was to create a place to discuss it every week. The amount of access we have to politics in the UK is fantastic.
    - PMQs every wednesday mid-day. Chance to question the government and hear them in debate with the opposition. Nothing like it in the US. Lots of other governments are starting the same thing.
    - Question Time usually has a member of the government (or governing party) on the panel, allowing you to ask them questions face-to-face. Again nothing like it in the US, probably due to the lack of an independent broadcaster. Available on iPlayer if you missed it.

The independent members of the panel are usually populists without coherent ideas. Politicians typically try to fit issues in to a larger agenda, which is useful because it gives you an idea of where they think priorities are.