UK Riots

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ct2k7, Aug 8, 2011.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

2. dime21 macrumors 6502

These riots are to be expected. Just like the riots in France a few years ago. What did they think would happen? They tried to duplicate the American "melting pot" by encouraging millions of ethnic immigrants to move in. Then provided no means or motivation for them to assimilate. So the millions of immigrants, mostly north african and middle eastern, lived in their ethnic ghettos, almost as outcasts, all the while draining the nation's socialized welfare programs. A north african or middle eastern person CAN move to the US and become American in every sense of the word. That same person cannot become British or French. The culture does not allow for it.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I hate when i agree with you...

At least i can continue disagreeing with you in the US debt ceiling thread.

4. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

The people rioting here are not immigrants. So yes there is a problem, lots of problems, but not the one you have identified.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Oh yes and the well integrated and successful black population who came to the US several hundred years ago (not voluntarily admittedly ) are such a shining beacon of integration in a peaceful and prosperous society.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Why do you agree with such a ridiculous post about a situation in a country that neither you nor the person you quoted live in.

This has nothing to do with "immigrants".

:rolleyes:

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

The culture does not allow for it? :confused:
    What on earth does that even mean?

Seriously. I am really interested in what exactly you mean by that and why you perceive the US to be different.

Who knows, we poor Brits and French may even learn something… :rolleyes:
    Doubt it though.

Indeed. Well said.

Exactly.

8. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/1948...-criminality-of-signs-of-social-breakdown.htm

I wonder if this'll ever happen in the US.

9. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Now that is just wrong...

One day people like these will face the consequences...or maybe not...

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This has to be the record for the most generalised xenophobia on Macrumors. Derogatory comments on 4 nationalities in 1 post.

12. MacHamster68, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

look out of the window and wait a bit until the underprivileged young citizens of the USA get organized

those riots should show now that not all are happy with their standart of living , and especially it shows
    that on benefits you got as a youth aged 16-20 a better live then by working 8 hours a day as it gives time to deal with all sorts of stolen goods and drugs which are needed to enable them what is considered a normal live , because they had been not clever enough to go to a elite university and get a nice job in a climatised office earning £50000 PA , because everything got more expensive over the last decade

in the uk the trend goes to minimum wage , for the mayority of workers , the house prices go up , young people cant afford housing other then in those council estates , and believe it or not they are a majority of the population , but all are just looking away from the problem
    when i came to england in 2003 even a unskilled agency worker could get £10 for working in a warehouse as packer but today the same person is lucky if he get's £6 (still above minimum wage )
    and thats where the problem is the richer get richer , some of those already fear they dropped to middle class only because they could not buy every year the latest range rover sport or Porsche cayenne for mums school runs , and the poor get poorer ,public school is a farce but not education
    a lot leave school without able to read and write or do simple math calculations
    and the older generations ...pensiners need to live on benefits because the state pension is to low to even live a poor live , families need tax credits to top up low wages

not that i say these riots are right , but they had been far from a surprise to me

13. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

These riots turned from being about the event that set them off to now they are just about causing destruction and thieves.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

True. I just agree with the general sentiment about immigrant assimilation in europe. These particular riots have nothing to do with that though.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Anyone notice how these things tend to crop up during tough times?

No worries though, the media will just paper over it and say all this is simply from the one shooting death by cops. That may have been the ignition point, but it sure as hell isn't the main and only fuel.

17. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Which media is that then?

None of the UK media have taken that line.

18. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I believe these things are never quite that simple.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm from America, home of the 60 second headline news story. Where in depth is apparently considered too elitist for a population increasingly looking for drama and entertainment out of its news sources.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

60 second headlines. I think you being way to generous. It is more like the 10 sec headline new story.

21. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont worry we will get used to it, and maybe we could exploid it , as tourist attraction

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Curious confluence of related material on the Beeb. First, a story on how

the rioters are organizing in large groups using Blackberry messaging

And, on the same page, someone s developing an app for smartphones

to allow message passing in the event of network shutdown

Somehow, these two concepts appear to be at odds with each other, from the standpoint of law enforcement vs. repression.

Personally, I think the underlying cause of the riots is tension over the Wisconsin recall elections happening today

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I agree, we should allow rioters open access to the tools they are using to express their opinions, regardless of the cost to the affected.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as we live in a world about to be overtaken by Wifi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0, and NFC I don't think anyone will be able to stop those determined to communicate.