UK: 'Six-year limit' on innocent DNA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Nov 11, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Screw them. I think I'd try my luck at out right refusing giving them anything until they had proved me guilty of something. They have no right to keep my details or anyone elses.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

I don't have a problem with them taking samples, but once you're cleared or charges are dropped/not brought they should be immediately destroyed.

Of course, do we really trust them to get rid of the records after 6 years? I think not...

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It'll probably get left on a train seat somewhere between Reading and London. And then, who knows who will have access.

Edit: The records I mean… not your DNA. :p

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Depends on what you did on that train seat. :eek: ;)

This whole dilemma with how to handle identifying informatics is a big one... the stockpiling of this information when it is no longer directly valid (e.g., during the 6 years) is just opening the door to some kind of abuse. Prime Minster A, who is not a fascist, collects the data, and then a few years later, Prime Minister B goes all CIA-Wiretapping and starts trying to figure out who reads in the pinko section at Borders....

5. awmazz macrumors 65816

I cant see the need to even keep it for 6 years.

If they pick up Son of Sam for a parking ticket and run his DNA through the system and there's a match to an open murder case, fine. But if there's no match to any open cases, why keep it for six years?

For 'future crime'? That's the only reason I can think of. In case the person decides to commit a crime in the ensuing six years. In that case, why the arbitrary six years and not keep it forever?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

it should be immediately destroyed IMO if that is the will of the person.