*UK* Slow wifi A4 Chip Devices on O2 wireless III Router: Solved.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BergerFan, Oct 31, 2010.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

For months I couldn't work out why my A4 Chip devices (iPad & iPhone 4) were so slow on my router, compared to my 3GS and everything else.*
    It turns out that the issue is linked to the router's 802.11N setting.
    For some reason, the A4 chip devices connect way slower on N that they do with b/g on this particular router.
    I changed the router settings down to b/g and I now have full speed wifi once more!

I lost the page where I found the tips. I'll find it when I get home.

2. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if that fixed it for you, then that means that there is another N router or other equipment very close that was causing you interference... Instead of dropping N to b/g just change the channel to either 1,6 or 12 and leave it N. There are apps that tell you the channels of nearby routers so you can then decide what channel to put yours...

4. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

What's the advantage of N anyways? I'm connecting to my router at it's peak of 54mbps on b/g, so I doubt it'll make my download speed any faster than it already is.

5. Bennoben macrumors newbie

If you're connecting to a LAN or using the network to transfer files between two computers wireless N can get up to speeds of 300mb/s compared to 54 for G. Big difference.

6. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Hmm. Would I still get the speed, if My PC is connecting to the router via b/g, and my iPad via n? Or do both have to be connecting to the router via n? Thanks in advance.