[UK] So my Sena Ultraslim Case is broken. What rights do I have?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by applemax, Feb 4, 2010.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi

I own a Sena Ultraslim leather case for iPhone, that I purchased around this time last year. Recently, the inner lining of the case has peeled off causing the phone's screen to rub up against the rough leather surface. Now, I went into to the Apple Store to investigate and it turns out that it's a manufacturer defect as newer models have stitching on the opening in order to prevent this peeling.

According to Apple, as it's a third-party product, they don't honour the warranty. Looking at the receipt, it says nothing of the sort other than clearly stating "warranty effective through Feb 18 2010". I've approached the manufacturer and they have no problems replacing it for free. However, they're based in the US and it'll cost TWICE the value of the case to FedEx it out there. So, unless they pay for me, which they say they won't, that's not an option.

Now, I'm not sure about this "third party" thing, because, if you think about it, 99% of all products in your average high street shop are third party products, right? GAME have no issues with taking in consoles that break down under the age of 12 months, so why should Apple have an issue with this?

Investigating the Sales of Goods Act 1979, while these stores aren't obliged to replace the case, they DO have a responsibility to compensate for any third-party repair or replacement costs.

So, your legal advice please - what can I do?!

Pictures are attached for your viewing pleasure!

Thanks! :D

Attached Files:

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

All this over an iPhone case that's a year old, how about you just buy a new one?

I don't think Apple has any obligation to replace this item

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Well, it clearly states that my warranty isn't up and if Apple legally operate in this country, they have a 6-year responsibility for my product, so I'm not gonna pay for a new one.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

god those cases are cheap as ****. do u have an apple store by you? go buy a new one and return the old one.. shady but it works

or take the loss and order a ikonicedge.com case

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

I want to return it legitimately. Are any of you from the UK? Because, over here, consumer laws are pretty different.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I'd say if you throw around a few 'EU Legislation this and that' you could pull some strings. Unfortunately you have to be a nuisance to get helped. The sales of goods act is near as makes no difference ignored here.

7. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

OK, I'll try it and see! By the way, just so you all know, this isn't a cheap case - it's around £30!

8. sjdigital macrumors regular

By this logic no retailer in the UK would have any liability for anything they sell, which is clearly nonsense. Speak to your local Trading Standards before your warranty runs out.

9. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a