Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Was reading Stephen Fry's tech coloumn in this morning's Guardian - I think he sums up the whole iphone experience very well. A well written piece.....

--------------------------------
Guardian Home Pages
iPhone lands Not sensible, but, oh, the joy of it!
Stephen Fry
692 words
10 November 2007
The Guardian
English
© Copyright 2007. The Guardian. All rights reserved.
And lo! The great day came.

I have been using an Apple iPhone now for more than four months. This is due to an unhealthy mixture of friendship with its designer, a slobbery and pathetic love of the new, the possession of an American billing address [necessary until today for the activation and use of the device] and a willingness to pay preposterous international roaming charges. It puts me in a good position however,to tell you what you're in for if you decide to own one of these honeys.

I should first get out of the way all the matters that will please those of you wrinkling your noses in a contemptuous Ian Hisloppy sort of way at the sheer hype, pretension, nonsense and hoopla attendant on what is, after all, only a phone. There is much to support your case.

Proud techie owners of rival devices can say: "What, only a 2-meg camera? What, no GPS? What, no 3G? What, no video? What, no third party applications?" What no, Sim card swapping?" A whole heap of what no-ing can be done.

Proud non-techie people can say: "I just want a phone that lets me make a call with the minimum of fuss. I don't want a 'design classic' and I certainly don't want to be locked into an 18-month data plan, whatever that might be."

Even those excited by the iPhone and likely to block their ears to the derisive hoots above, even they must allow themselves honestly to accept its drawbacks. Text entry is, despite the spine-tingling brilliance of a creepily accurate auto-correct facility, clumsy. There are perhaps a dozen niggles of that nature (though the camera isn't one: the iPhone's lowly 2-megapixel snapper easily outperforms higher-spec rivals). So what's to set against these drawbacks?

Beauty. Charm. Delight. Excitement. Ooh. Aah. Wow! Let me at it.

In the end the iPhone is like some glorious early-60s sports car. Not as practical, reliable, economical, sensible or roomy as a family saloon but oh, the joy. The jouissance as Roland Barthes liked to say. What it does, it does supremely well, that what it does not do seems laughably irrelevant.

The iPhone is a digital experience in the literal sense of the word. The user's digits roam, stroke, tweak, tweeze, pinch, probe, slide, swipe and tap across the glass screen forging a relationship with the device that is like no other.

"But I don't want to 'forge a relationship', I just want to get the job done," you say? Well then, you know what? Don't buy one. And stop reading this. You're only doing so in the first place to lend fuel to your snorts and puffs of rage. Allow us our pleasures.

Whatever your view on Apple's new instant icon, you will not be able to deny that it has already changed forever what was already a colossal market.

There was pre-iPhone and there will be post-iPhone. All the competitors will have to come up with something better. I'm no red in tooth and claw capitalist, but actually, I can't think this example of mercantile evolution-through-competition is so very bad.

Conflict-traded rare earths and minerals, that's another matter. Someone wrote to tell me that the iPhone is full of Congolese metals. Guardian readers may want elucidation on this front. I'm not the man to give it, I fear.

The rest of the world can mock as much as it likes. If you're going to have a phone/video player/slideshow/music centre/web browser/camera in your pocket, is it so wrong to want one that makes you grin from ear to ear? Not with smugness [though heaven knows the enemies of the device will read that into the smiles] but with delight.

(C) Stephen Fry 2007

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Fry has always been a massive fan of apple products - I believe that he and Douglas Adams were the first in the I'm to be using the Apple II but I could be wrong. At any rate he completely captures the joy of using this device; yes it's not without its flaws but it's like someone you love. The whole is better than the sum of the parts and you'll overlook the little stuff because it makes you so damn happy.

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Well there's writing and then there's fantastic writing Steven has an amazing way with words am grining from ear to ear for the second time in 24 hours!
spot on review will have to remember a few of those lines when I have to defend the honor of my new purchase!
:):D

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The big drawbacks are that it is locked to specific carrier, and that you have to take a long term contract, and still pay full price. And also that there is no guarantee that it will ever be unlocked for you.

I would hardly call that something I would honestly allow myself to accept. Even if I had the money, I am against this kind of buisness Apple is doing. That is my review of the iPhone. The product actually becomes uninteresting for me, because of this.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I read that this morning. I pretty much agree with him really. Had a play with one in the O2 shop earlier and had to restrain myself - I'm not sure how ling I can hold out though!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

calculus said:
I read that this morning. I pretty much agree with him really. Had a play with one in the O2 shop earlier and had to restrain myself - I'm not sure how ling I can hold out though!

same here - went to have a look today although I had firmly decided not to get one because of the lack of 3g. I thought my iPod touch was nice but the iPhone is streets apart from the ipod touch. Now all i can hear is a little voice inside my head saying "go on, you know you want one" :D

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
went to have a look today although I had firmly decided not to get one because of the lack of 3g. I thought my iPod touch was nice but the iPhone is streets apart from the ipod touch. Now all i can hear is a little voice inside my head saying "go on, you know you want one" :D

I was determined not to get one… but as with the 1st generation iPod I failed to control my lust and last evening found myself queing at the Apple' Store in Kingston… *sigh* :)

I love my iPhone. Have used it through the day — and all my pockets are lighter — not just my wallet :p

Apple have really created a truly wonderful and life changing (?) piece of art.

And I am glad I gave in to temptation… :D:D

JNB

macrumors 604
I figured as much. I figured that as he & Doug Adams were close in many things, being an :apple:-holic made sense. I didn't figure him to be quite so, well, geeky.

Actually, I went to the Guardian front page and saw his pic there. A little searching on one's own first, & all...

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
That's beautiful. He concisely delivered on my own reasons for being an early adopter. All these reasons rush to my conscious every time I see a new thread from the 'nay-sayers.'

To all the devil's advocates, "Reach out and touch something wonderful!"

helo

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Stephen's right about so many things...he is a good egg, and quite the greatest living englishman. It's a shame he can't get used to the typing, he does have hands like shovels...I have taken to the keyboard like a duck to water, i'm really impressed at how my large thumbs are doing.

My first desire in an update...a tweak to make message alerts silent between certain hours of the day, i.e. say 0000-0800 - but phone calls can still come through and emails can still be collected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.