[UK] the government once again wants to monitor all your communications

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 0dev, Apr 3, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

The news first broke on April 1st but I'm afraid it isn't a prank...

Via the BBC

Enough Tory and Lib Dem politicians are against this that it shouldn't pass (hopefully), but the fact that governments simply do not stop trying to monitor us - and the fact that they've already extended the long existent internet censorship - really is quite worrying.

We should all sign up to VPNs sooner rather than later is the message here.

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

First they tax my pies, now they wana watch what I google? It depresses me that I voted for this government.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Labour tried doing a similar thing way back in 2006, but criticisms from the Lib Dems and Conservatives stopped the bill progressing further. Now, those very same parties are proposing the very same bill. Hypocritical or what?

4. fruitycups macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

You should make a pilgrimage to the US. Excape ur queen

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would imagine it's to do with the deep pockets of those lobbyists. When will the Government learn that legislating will just drive those who are up to no good deeper underground.

6. Fazzy macrumors 6502

And lets not forget what could happen if this was somehow leaked.
    The people who they actually want to target with this bill will surely know how to avoid it- with the ordinary Joe paying the price.

7. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Do they really believe that criminals aren't already using encryption from VPN services which don't keep any records?

Well the answer to that is, no, no they don't, but they don't want you to know that because then they'll realise it's you they're targeting - by "you" I of course mean the general public - rather than actual criminals.

They're doing it in the US too, BTW. You're not safe wherever you are.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im safe.....

thumbnail.jpg

;)

9. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

There is an entirely different world out there in the SubNet.

BitCoins is only scratching the surface of a decentralized, Bankless economy used over the internet. You can already transfer thousands of Dollars, in seconds over the Internet using BitCoins and have no paper trail so to speak.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It doesn't surprise me it's always been the dream of politicians to control information while they are in power, when they are in opposition not so much. :mad:

11. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

12. kolax macrumors G3

Be interesting to see if this will be a bargaining tool for Scottish independence.

"Vote for independence and you won't have to worry about Westminster snooping your digital life".

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Now all the government needs is a terrorist attack and this legislation would slip right through

14. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Since I arrived in the UK 20 years ago, all sorts of civil liberties have been eroded - freedom from double jeopardy, the right to a jury trial, etc. Now we learn that, in spite of the fact police have been selling information illegally to the press for years, the government wants to eavesdrop on our entire digital life in real time without judicial review.

Just once I wish politicians would ask us if civilians are willing to take risks to preserve their freedom. I was just as shocked as everybody else at 9/11 and the London bombings, but I would rather risk those infrequent events than surrender my privacy and liberty. If the government wants to save lives by curtailing freedom, they should put physical limiters on cars so that they cannot exceed the speed limit.... That would save more lives.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

*sigh* Oh well, back to hiding messages under rocks for me. :(

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If I ever find
    under a rock I know who to blame.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

My back isn't up to it anymore, either rocks or busty young women. :(

19. kolax macrumors G3

Completely agree.

It isn't just the current suggested implementations that's the big concern, it's how far they'd take it through iterations. Those SOPA and PIPA bills that failed in the US - well, they'd easily be implemented into this new big brother system.

This is probably what the UK government wants: if you searched for "cannabis" on Google, that would flag up somewhere and become part of your record. If you searched on Google for "children's dresses" because you are buying a gift for a niece, that'll flag up as "pedophile". And before you know it, you are drug taking pedophile according to the government.

Policing the digital era in this way is such a huge invasion of privacy it disgusts me. Ironic that given the Beijing Olympics were surrounded by human rights controversy, the UK government is pushing for this during the year of the London Olympics.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He/She who controls the flags, controls the World. ;)

21. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I get where you're going, and I certainly agree that the invasion of privacy is unacceptable, but at the same time I think you're going too far.

The government isn't going to flag people up for Google searches, that would yield so many false positives it'd literally be useless. Plus it'd be difficult to implement.

As I understand, the proposal simply makes it so companies have to give the government access to records on demand. They don't have to let the government flag things and it wouldn't make sense if the government did so either.

Of course if this is gonna happen I better order some fresh cannabis right away before thinking the word cannabis will get me arrested on suspicion of having cannabis. Cannabis.

22. kolax macrumors G3

Not right now they won't, but it's how far they'd take it. If they were trying to build a case against someone, they could quite easily convict most people. I download movies from places the government wouldn't agree with. If they wanted me behind bars for suspicions of whatever, they could just say "you've been downloading movies illegally".

It's the future that worries me, not the current proposed implementation. Once these laws/bills are imposed, it's easy for them to progress further and further. We'll end up worse than China in no time for moderation and censorship.

23. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

They couldn't add strength to a legal case by saying you pirate movies, that's nonsense. Piracy isn't even a criminal offense.

Now what they could do with such a system is back up existing evidence. So to use one of your previous examples, if you had a bunch of cannabis on you and they could then dig up your Google searches and see that you've googled cannabis websites then they could bring that to the court. But I highly doubt they would ever be able to use something as stupid as an internet search to bring a case up or advance the case in any meaningful way, let alone use it to make sure you're thrown in prison.

24. kolax macrumors G3

All depends who's in charge of this. You're probably right, but I just vision worst case scenario ;)

Another worry is how will all this be stored, and how secure will it be. The phone hacking scandals were due to voice mail passwords being the default ones, but can you imagine what would happen if the press were to pay someone to dig up dirt.

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Every time I see something like this I just have V for Vendetta replaying in my head. Minus the good ending.

Why on earth would you want the government to monitor your life? How could anybody possibly think that the outcome for that won't be anything but bad news?