UK tourists to US may get asked to reveal passwords or be denied entry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

UK tourists to US may get asked to hand in passwords or be denied entry

Hmmm….. not sure if this is just EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) exaggerating things, but if there is even a half-truth to it, it sounds very draconian. Well, draconian for British and European tourists anyways. Might as well kill the entire US Tourism industry.

According to the article, this is not "law" just yet. But it's an "extreme vetting" legislation that is currently being considered by the Trump Administration. Oh boy….

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a non-terrorist I don't feel like revealing private information like that. I thought the US was all about freedom? Hmm.

4. cube macrumors G5

Already even Americans can get their devices searched without a warrant at the border.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Have to visit freedom loving countries like Iran and China instead.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

but what if you have to travel to the US for business ? My employer has an office in the US which will get expanded the next years. Not traveling to the US might not be an option for everybody.

So what to choose ? Being denyed entry to the US or breaking basic security rules and company IT regulation which could cost me my job ?

This whole thing is ridiculous. Perhaps a reciprocal rule should be made that US citizens have to give up their password when traveling to europe.
    Which of course wont happend, just like post 9/11 the US demanded information on EU internal bank transfers from people traveling into the US but refused to provide the same data themselves to other agencies.

7. cube macrumors G5

When the US started scanning visitors' fingerprints, Brazil started fingerprinting Americans with INK.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

What does this have to do with "freedom"?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2017 ---
    What passwords will they ask you for?
    How would this look like in real life?
    Just wipe your devices and remote access.
    That's what you should be doing anyway.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's reasonable suspicion.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The article reports that they are not just interested in your digital devices, but your social media passwords as well. I think "wiping your Facebook account" is a bit extreme just to visit the United States.

11. cube macrumors G5

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, of course, anybody who doesn't use social media is a threat and must be locked up immediately! ;)

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well if you are 75 years old that might work, if you are <35 it might raise suspicion which leads to further checks.

Don't forget that for example some services also include accounts on social media plattforms. A google mail account used on an android phone ? You automatically have an account with youtube and google+.

edit: which of course means you 'lied' if stated that you don't have social media accounts to the border agent. And lying means you are denyed entry as well.

14. cube macrumors G5

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Even if that were to come to pass it'd get slapped down by the courts so fast we'd have an orange bobble head in the white house..

I can't fix stupid but judges can :p

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its highly unlikely.

17. cube macrumors G5

They can already clone your whole laptop.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't have a facebook account.

If you are stupid enough to have a facebook account in the same name that is in you passport then you deserve to be harrassed.
    What is that?
    And ...

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

Did you quote the wrong person?

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I never remember my passwords so i'll be turned away lol. Seriously though, the US is off my visit list for the foreseeable future anyway. It's not a problem.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Interesting point of view. Rather unorthodox I have to say.

22. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I guess our tourism industry is about to take a major hit.
    I agree. But a lot of uniformed people use their full name for facebook. Middle name and everything.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Never heard of social media but Canada can make you unlock your phone or deny you entry if they are suspicious.

24. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Re visiting the US - If you've never been then I'd actually really recommend going. Actually experiencing the space, scale and complete wildness of the place - especially when you can get off the beaten track - gives you a perspective on what can seem to be sometimes hard to understand attitudes (particularly if you come from a dense and crowded island). Also, I've found on my couple of visits that the people of small town America are utterly charming and hugely interested in you in a way that puts us to shame.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

And that's why they deserve to be harrassed.