UK Uni Student - cheapest way to buy an iMac 27" please?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobbytallant, May 12, 2010.

1. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Hoping for some advice please.

In the market for an iMac 27" in the next couple of weeks.

I've read over the threads that suggest an update may be heading our way soon but with minimal changes, really want one ASAP tbh!

The obvious shout would be that yes I am a uni student so I will therefore be granted the Apple Student/Higher Education discount. I understand this to be 11% for the iMac 27" - firstly, is this correct?

I have also heard talk that refurbished iMacs are a good way to save on price - would this be a bigger save / better idea than pursuing the education discount? I think I am correct in thinking that you cannot use the edu discount in conjunction with these.

Also, out of interest/curiosity, is there a business user discount for iMac purchases? I'm sure I have heard something along these lines before.

Are the guys in store open to negotiation on price, or throwing extra spec in? Only after the base model really tbh.

I know it sounds kind of cheeky/budget to ask these questions but these are expensive for anybody, not least for us measly students. Just really want one at the least price possible. Heard of people getting good deals before.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

2. unid macrumors regular

I think you get 14%, more details in many similiar threads
    here for instance.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The good deal is the education price. If you want to be direct and ask, it can't hurt but I imagine will be met with a sharp 'no'.

The HE prices for UK university students are as follows for the 27" iMac:

£1,212.60 - 3.06Ghz C2D
    £1,438.20 - 2.66Ghz i5 Quad Core

You can also get Applecare at huge discount tagged on - £44.65.

4. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

That's very helpful. Thanks.

Yes if they were to offer me a slight further discount on the Quad Core I would probably be tempted. But as you say, it seems unlikely. Then again, I am not sure how many of these they would shift day-to-day. May be some room for further negotiation.

Think that does work out at around 11% btw.

5. ramases macrumors member

Currently on UK Store

I've bought Mac Mini and iMac refurb's before. Been happy with them all

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

£1,169.00
    Save £209.00
    15% off

6. EasyJW macrumors member

my sister got 13% in the apple store, but after some wheeling and dealing, she got 14% thanks to me! but edu discount is the best you're gonna get [​IMG]

7. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool - was that for the 27" imac may I ask? If so, how did you go about wheeling and dealing in the Apple Store - any tips? Really would think it would be hard for them to budge any more tbh.

8. chrissmash macrumors regular

Hi there,

I believe the iMac discount is 12%, also be sure to take advantage of the heavily discounted Applecare!

Chris

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's obviously quite late now, but in case anyone ever does some 'Mroogling' I'll just point this out-

The majority of UK universities are part of the Universities' Apple Computer Group, and hence students get 3 years warranty as standard- this deal currently applies to any Mac purchased before end of September 2011 (although it is likely to be extended). See http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk

If you are on the uni network click education store and then 'select your university'. Despite what the site may say all students who buy through this means get a 36 month warranty and 12 month phone support. It is buried deep in the terms and conditions, Apple are very good at not communicating this as they want you to buy Applecare.

Alternatively you can call 0800 072 1154 (currently) and navigate to the education store. Again, the person you talk to may try and sell you Applecare, but so long as you are entitled to the full 11-13% discount on the device (and ~66% off Applecare) then you get 3 years as standard. Do not let them persuade you otherwise!

After buying your Mac 90 days later you will get an email saying your Mac is covered for 3 years.

There are some things to note-

This does not apply in store! If you buy in the Apple store you must buy Applecare (and you are frequently offered a much lower discount) to get 3 years. Unlike Applecare the student warranty is not worldwide and is not transferrable (so may effect resale value). You only get one year phone support not three. You only get the low price when you order the Mac, if you want it later you will pay full price.

So many people I know bought Applecare as a student and only found out too late they had three years warranty anyway.

10. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

Thanks for informing! :)

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They also offer an Applecare upgrade for around £50 which gives you three years phone support.

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

There are rumours about the three years having stopped. The MacRumors buyers guide even has it crossed out.

It can be incredibly difficult to find the three years in the terms and conditions. When I bought my MacBook (July 2009) it took a good 30 mins to find. It depends on when you press 'terms and conditions', or it sends you to the wrong set!

However, I have found them again. This gets heavy... I understand the agreement is with the institution (university) and in return Apple offers better conditions to the individual (student) so it is in the individuals section of the institution agreement. Hence /uk_inst/ which causes problems finding it.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk_inst/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html

Check section 10.1.1. It should say "All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery."

I strongly suggest you take a screenshot of this next to a webpage that shows the date (eg BBC news) on the day you buy. Remember, unless the HE Agreement is extended with UACG these conditions end September 2011. Check appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/.

If in doubt contact Apple.

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Which, quite frankly, is a waste of money.
    Seriously you can always go to the AppleStore and ask a so called "Genius" if you've got a problem with your Mac. Costs you nothing but a little gas for your car.

Unfortunately I always bought the extra phone support with my HE Macs because I wasn't aware that the hardware is covered for three years anyway. Big mistake.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not everyone lives local to an Apple Store and not all students have a car.

You obviously don't need it as you live in London where's there's an Apple Store on almost every street corner but it could be very useful to others. ;)

15. opera57 macrumors 6502

Probably the apple education store website which you can access when connected to your uni network, failing that, give apple a ring and negotiate.
    I remember a few years ago when my cousin was at uni he rang up and got free applecare, iwork and a case thrown in with his MacBook Pro! [​IMG]

16. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Call them up and try to negotiate. And check the refurb store constantly to check for the best possible deal. If you can't wait, then get one with the education discount. Cheers and good luck.

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Agreed OllyW. The three year AppleCare at £50 is an excellent deal, and I always get it despite the education warranty. It does offer extra benefits, and I've always found that it gets me great service with Apple.

In addition, it's transferrable, unlike the student warranty, which is important for someone who upgrades a lot.

18. Cinnabar macrumors member

Since when have students been able to afford 27" iMacs? Jesus, when I was a student I could barely afford toast....

19. WilliamG macrumors 604

I couldn't even afford a toaster!

20. iStudentUK, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Buying in store does not necessarily give UK students as good a deal as buying online or over the phone. See my earlier post.