Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMaelstrom

macrumors member
Original poster
While AppleStoring I somehow managed to find myself on the UK site.
I noticed the G5 ad on the UK site says

The worlds fastest personal computer ever*.

At the bottom it says

*Based on SPEC CPU 2000 benchmark results.

The annotation is ONLY on the UK ad. The US ad doesn't have it.
What's up with that?

:confused:

Attachments

• uk-us g5.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 53

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't think it means all that much - its different in a few other country's stores as well..

D

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 306

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: UK/US G5 Ads are Different

Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
*Based on SPEC CPU 2000 benchmark results.

The annotation is ONLY on the UK ad. The US ad doesn't have it.
What's up with that?

:confused:
I think it probably has to do with "truth in advertising" laws that vary from country to country... After all, in the US corporations can advertise almost any wild claim and they usually don't have to back it up. In the EU it's a little different I guess.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Re: UK/US G5 Ads are Different

Originally posted by illumin8
After all, in the US corporations can advertise almost any wild claim and they usually don't have to back it up.

-illumin8

Actually U.S. marketing does have to be backed up - just as much as in Europe. The difference here is that I think Apple learned a lesson in the U.S. campaign. It's a lot easier to defend oneself in one's home market.

BTW- the law is the Misrepresentation law. Note it's "The World's Fastest Computer" - not the "Worlds Fastest Microprocessor." PC pundits aren't attorneys :D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Re: Re: UK/US G5 Ads are Different

Originally posted by patrick0brien
-illumin8

Actually U.S. marketing does have to be backed up - just as much as in Europe. The difference here is that I think Apple learned a lesson in the U.S. campaign. It's a lot easier to defend oneself in one's home market.
yeah, one would expect an american company to have a clearer idea of what it can get away with in its own country than of what it can get away with in other ones.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Shadowfax

What're you doing up?

And before you ask, I have an excuse: I'm drunk.
not to wend too far off topic, just letting the port i had not to long ago settle, posting a tad, playing with my sister's new kitten, and getting ready to go to sleep. i just had less than half a cup of port though, so no, i'm not drunk...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.