UK users travelling to the USA - do we get free starbucks wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musio, Jul 18, 2008.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

So, does the free wifi option apply to travellers?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Pretty sure the answer is no. It only applies to AT&T customers with iPhones. To access it you have to enter in your phone number and I'm pretty sure that checks their databases to verify that it is an AT&T # and that that # is tied to an iPhone.

3. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

Ah, but this is the interesting thing; when you road from the UK to USA it switches to AT&T. My questions hopes that there some sort of recognition system that the connection to a starbucks wifi is made from an iphone and so will be allowed.. :confused:

Has anyone tried this?

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

As far as the information given so far is that wifi will be free, period.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It will not work because your number is not owned by at&t. They take the number and compare it to their database of DSL, Business, and iPhone customers to verify qualification. You can get free Wi-Fi at StarBucks by buying a gift card, then using it for your drink.

TEG

6. RJ17 macrumors regular

Engadget just posted that ATT just released a statement that free WIFI is not available yet and the page was put up in error. Also regarding the UK users, I think you need an ATT number to connect to the WIFI access point. It doesn't matter what provider you are on at the moment just what provider your phone number is registered with.

EDIT
    --Sorry. Missed the last post