UK users. What do you think of EE LTE plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentLoner, Oct 22, 2012.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Just out interest. I don't think they are bad at all. The problem is I just don't think the uk networks get the signal saturation right at all.

2. bollyboy macrumors regular

I was surprised they were not more expensive. I pay the same now (3G) as those prices published for 4G.

I just wish they would offer more data and drop the SMS/calls allowance. I wonder how many people really need unlimited calls, and with Whatsapp and the other messaging services i think unlimited SMS is a thing of the past.

3. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Agreed but 8gbs is pretty generous. I pay a tidy premium in the us for 10gb on verizon. I'm originally from Britain so visiting family at the min on a 3 sim and got 3000 text 300 mins and true unlimited data for £15!!!

4. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

500mb of lte is far from generous.

Plus sim only is a 12 month contract.

5. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I was talking about the sensible ones. Anyone who get a 500mb one needs to be slapped :p

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm tempted by the 5gb plan it's what I pay now with Orange for 1GB but then I was thinkin am I just being greedy? I barely use 600mb a month as is lol

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I think they are laughable.

I consistantly get over 5MB speeds with unlimited 3G with 3 and it's quick enough to stream HD video.

Sure 4G is faster but I'd never go back to capped data unless I had to, especially 500MB or 1GB.

Wouldn't last me a week.

8. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

To be fair I have been very impressed with 3's speed since being over here. I was thinking it would be **** because of congestion but its really not.

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's pretty impressive.

Maybe i'm a rare case and have been spoilt by unlimited, but I couldn't not have it now.

I stream a lot of Spotify, Music Match and Video these days, and never have to worry about my bill or being throttled. It really is the best experience for a smartphone.

Even with "high quality" streaming with Spotify, songs start instantly and very rarely does the stream pause.

10. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Yeah it's pretty good. I am currently without cable in my apartment in Chicago and with 2 iPhones (one 5 and one 4s) and a iPad I've not hit 10gb data yet which is what my cap is (paid) on verizon but to totally switch off its nice especially as I'm on vacation.

11. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Way too expensive just for 500MB. For the same price I get unlimited 3G so not bothering.

Plus coverage wont be great I suspect even in supported cities.

12. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Agreed but if you're a power user the £56 one seems ok

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It might be a good idea to add the plans to the original post for all to see :)

Yeah, 8GB is a lot of data but it's expensive.

It's a tough sell when 3 do unlimited for £36... or even £15 sim only.

Guess it depends on your area and its coverage.

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The tariffs are a joke. Completely laughable and I feel vindicated in my decision to go with Three.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

These are the handset tariffs:
    500MB £36
    1GB £41
    3GB £46
    5GB £51
    8GB £56

SIM Only plans:

500MB £21
    1GB £26
    3GB £31
    5GB £36

all plans come with unlimited calls and texts.

You’ll need a 4G ready phone that’s compatible with our 4G network. By compatible, we mean it’s a 4G phone that you’ve bought either directly from Orange or T-Mobile. Or on those networks through an indirect retailer. The exception is an iPhone 5. Any iPhone 5 bought from Apple, Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U in the UK can also get 4GEE.

For an extra £5 each month, you’ll be able to take all your minutes and texts with you when you go and explore Europe and selected countries around the world. (You can see which ones are included at ee.co.uk.) Just choose one of our 4GEE phone plans with roaming.

Want 4GEE? But just got a new Apple iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy SIII or HTC 1X that's not 4G ready on a plan from either Orange or T-Mobile? No problem. We'll be able to swap you to a 4G version of your phone, and move you to a superfast 4GEE phone plan. All for just £99.

16. jonnyb macrumors 65816

The prices are shockingly bad. I'm not tying myself into a 12 month SIM only contract at £26 for 1 measly GB for speeds that EE's own small print say will average 8-12Mbps.

I already get 15-17Mbps on Three.

17. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Terrible pricing as far as I'm concerned. Currently paying £16 with o2 but that's on a 30 day rolling contract, my wife pays around £11 with T-mobile on a 12 month deal. Shifting up to at least £21 a month and being stuck for a year doesn't appeal in the least.

Think EE have really missed the boat with this one. They had an opportunity to use LTE as a 'free' incentive to come to their network and take customers from the rest of the UK carriers until they roll out in a year or so. Instead they've priced it as an additional service and kept the same bandwidth limits! Don't understand why they're even bothering to offer a super fast data service with 500Mb, that just doesn't seem to make sense.

The unlimited calls is an interesting twist but I can't help but wonder how many people really use their phone for calls anymore (at least not to the point they need unlimited). It's also going to be very interesting to see how well EE's LTE network copes with the rush of subscribers it's bound to receive and how quickly they roll it out across the country. Fingers crossed they have this one right.

18. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Who cares about voice calls and, to a lesser extent, texts anymore? It's like offering a man dying of thirst in the desert a sip of water but free buckets of gold.

19. Westyfield2 macrumors 6502a

No unlimited data :(. Nice to see they've included tethering though, unlike my current O2 deal! Seems a shame that they're forcing unlimited minutes on all contracts... I only need about 800/month, so paying for unlimited is wasted cash.

20. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

Was planning on swapping over to EE from T-Mobile. I signed a contract with T-Mobs with a subsidized iPhone 5. Unfortunately, yesterday I dropped the iP5 on the concrete without a case. Looks like now, I cant switch over to EE.. quite stupid really.

Swap to 4GEE: Offer ends 31 December 2012 and available in retail only. Limited 4G coverage, see ee.co.uk/coverage. Pay monthly only. You’ll have to agree to a new minimum term on EE. You’ll need to be within the first 6 months of your plan on T-Mobile or Orange and return your old handset in perfect, working condition. Other terms apply.

Edit. Nevermind, this is just if you dont already have a 4G enabled phone.

21. Thatcher macrumors member

I think the 4GEE plans are a joke, they're charging a premium for very little.

I'm more than happy to stick with Three as I get 14/15Mbps over 3G and it's available in my area now. My SIM free contract is 30 day rolling and i only pay £12 a month for it with unlimited internet. Not convinced at all.

22. d123, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I don't think the data limits themselves are that bad (on the more sensible plans, only an idiot would sign up to the 500MB or 1GB) but looking deeper it really seems as if the planners came from the Orange side of EE.

On T-Mobile I get inclusive 08xx calls in my allowance, I can have a free booster for things like international minutes, my data allowance is "small" (in comparison to some of the EE plans) at 1.5GB, but it only gets used by downloads, streaming etc, browsing and email are completely unlimited meaning I'll always have Internet capability on my phone even if the allowance was used. The new EE plans seem to work exactly like the existing Orange plans, or actually worse.

If you use up your allowance on the new EE plans you can't use data without buying another data pack, it really has a lot of regressive Orange policies governing it.

I actually don't mind the prices, but the actual small print to use the plans needs sorting, with a little more T-Mobile influence.

23. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

After seeing the pricing im not tempted anymore. I can get a much better deal on 3 Network for less with unlimited streaming data. 3G speeds are fast enough for casual browsing. I will hold off until the other operators start offering 4G as prices will go down.

24. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Not tempted at all. Happy to stick with Orange on the unlimited 3G I got at the moment. Get 4-7mb at home and upto 15mb at work. Perfect for what I need

25. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I was waiting for EE to release their plans to switch from O2 and use LTE but I think they are a JOKE.

500mb on a LTE network? SERIOUSLY? You can use all 500 mb in less than 1 hour.

I think I'm going to stay in O2 and wait for the 5S.