[UK] What could be in the 2009 Budget

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Apr 16, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

There's predictions of VAT being at 20% :eek: I can hardly wait :rolleyes:

Stop spending so much money on senseless needless crap please. kthx!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Such as?

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know :p :eek:

I'd be willing to bet there are a vast number of money pits that could easily be scrapped though...course we (the public) just don't know about them all.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

18.5% at a stretch… but this government is obsessed with hanging on to power and the last thing they would do is commit suicide before the next election by bumping up the VAT to 20%…

Inevitable really.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Trident, ID cards, DNA database, House of Commons reforms, QUANGO's.

There's billions of pounds that could be saved.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, that's what I was on about ;) Thank you!

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

In the interest of fighting the obesity epidemic, shouldn't we be trying to lose those pounds?

I can recommend some good cardio training programs if you like.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

Taking a few records off a database isn't going to save any significant amount of money - its a human rights issue.

The house of commons reforms are only ever going to save a few million pounds - compared to the whole government budget this is fairly trivial stuff.

Not all QUANGO's do a bad job...

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Abolishing the DNA database outright would save a packet.

Culling the number of MPs by 20% and reforming their expenses would save tens of millions per year. It all adds up.

Indeed, but the Tax Payers Alliance (not the most partial source, I know) through the FOI Act uncovered that the 1,162 QUANGO's accounted for £64 billion of taxpayers money.

Last year, the Government spent more than £1 billion on "communications".

As e pointed out earlier, who knows how many billions are being wasted that we don't know about? How many millions are being spent that they don't want us to know about?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

MPs ridiculous expenses? Second home allowances? Massively over generous pensions for MPs?

And I agree about the ID cards. We don't need them.

Oh and simplify the tax system: a flat rate of tax would make it much easier to collect allowing them to vastly reduce the size of the Inland Revenue saving a fortune.

11. ZunePod macrumors regular

I don't think Labour will still be in power after the next election if VAT goes up to 18.5%.

It's unbelievable how much money is wasted.

12. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

I think that they'll wait to push the VAT up until they get re-elected, or let the conservatives do it (its going to have to happen sometime), to score maximum political points out of the issue.

The goverment announced electric car subsides today. A step in the right direction I think... but the government should probably invest in hydrogen cars imo. Although this might be better suited to another thread...

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm thinking the exact same thing.

All this money on charging stations and subsidies for battery powered cars. I just don't see them being much use long term. Hydrogen is where it's at. If you're going to spend our money, spend it here. Enough of this posturing nonsense "green" spending.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think there's a consensus that Hydrogen is the best approach. Personally I like Personal rapid transit.

Can you provide some examples of serious money wastage? In terms of the UK government budget its really got to be at least £100m on a single thing.

But these expenses are trivial compared to the UK's annual budget. Although they are clearly corrupt and they should be brought under control to set an example we are only going to save pocket change by fixing this (maybe like £10m overall or something). Its like bargaining to a 100th of a rupee with an Indian taxi driver.

What about the increased policing costs caused by not having it?

And then you would have even less good candidates for Prime Minister to choose from.

What percentage of your time do you spend in meetings and dealing with work related emails? Is it less than 0.2% of your working time? (This means if you do a 40 hour week you are only spending 5 minutes a week on communication.)

I say 0.2% of your working time because £1 billion is 0.2% of the overall budget of £500 billion.

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No way. There's not nearly enough personal freedom with that.
    ID Cards. The stupid horrendous management and spending of just about every IT project they ever conceive (NHS system for one). Most of the crap Jacqui Smith dreams up while hubby is jerking off in the other room.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually I'm sure we only hear about the unsuccessful ones ;).

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So what if we do? That NHS ongoing cockup is running at ~£12bn last I recall. The ID Card thing if/when it is ever completed will go the same way.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And that is a waste of money, caused by the government not employing enough good IT people.

EDIT: Though that project should probably be binned - but then you probably have to start again with another system which won't exactly be free as its worth having a system that's better than paper records.

19. bartelby macrumors Core

That's because there aren't any successful ones...

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Or do they simply not like it when the good IT people tell them what is likely to fail?

21. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm confused. So are you agreeing that it's all a colossal **** up and waste of money, or defending their right to horribly mismanage massive budget projects?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree that that is a **** up, but just stating "the government wastes lots of money" with no serious examples is kind of silly, which is what ZunePod said.

It was a dumb point though as others had pointed out good examples :eek:.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

That's more or less what happens.
    Most of the time they'd rather listen to the possible contractors about what would work than the people who use the systems day in, day out..

So of course the contractors are going to suggest the most complex solution possible, that'll take the longest to implement and need the most future servicing...

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've not read it, but there appear to be enough examples to fill a book. The claim made is that the government have wasted £101 billion, although over what timescale I don't know...

As is often said in IT circles "If you're not part of the solution you're a consultant"...

25. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yep - new technology plus old habits, as Al gore says. Very few people will give up their petrol cars for a car that costs the same initially, and only goes 40 miles at a time!

Plus, electric cars are only as green as the electricity you put in them.

Yeah - take the contactpoint database. It will cost around £224 million to set up, and a further £44million to run each year. There has to be a better way than that!

As far as Government wasting money goes, look no further than Iraq! True costs vary, but are said to be up to £7.4 billion.

Sorry for going a bit off topic!