UK: Who pre-ordered one despite saying that they would wait for PAYG / White / 16GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajthomason, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Title says it all really.

Who today in the chaos and panic decided that they just had to order one even though they said that they would wait for PAYG or White or even ordered an 8GB after the 16s ran out, despite saying that they wanted 16GB?

I said that I would wait a couple of weeks to see if someone managed to find a way to get one without signing a contract and unlock it... but, that was when I was hoping that PAYG would be available! I decided that I just have to have one and so spent half the day trying to order one... first on o2 (website down, then no more 16GBs) then finally on CPW site (although it's still in phase 1/3 :( but when I phoned up to correct my PAC (in the excitement I had two numbers reversed!) the guy said I was guaranteed for Friday :) )

Anyway, who gave in and ordered one?

2. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Of topic but what page was the failover page on the o2 website?

3. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, really off topic! It was the page that appeared when the servers were overloaded - just a form that you fill in to say that you want to buy a phone (iPhone in this case) and someone manually enters the data into the system later.

4. MacMalv macrumors regular

i was going to wait for PAYG, but my dad woke me up at 8.30am, saying iphones are on sale and that he had order his. so i ran down stairs and managed to get a 16gb black beauty!! i don't mind about paying the monthly contract as i was planning on doing it before the PAYG was announced. and the temptation of getting one delivered on friday was too much!

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

basically its a really insecure way of doing it - as it is entered manually

i was going to get 16gb, but got the 8gb. i just will change my music more

i wish i had your dad

6. andyhofer macrumors member

Yep, that'll be me then, said I'd wait for PAYG but logged on this morning and ordered a 16Gb, when I saw it was available I just couldn't help myself.

Ah well, role on the 11th.

7. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

LOL I was refreshing with the best of them despite wanting a white iPhone. My order didn't get through so after a couple of hours of effing and blinding at anyone who'd listen, I'm actually quite pleased. I can live with my 2G and the new software until the madness subsides.

That's not to say I might not wander into town on Friday morning and see what's up...:D

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Nope, ordered nothing.

Waiting until the 11th to see if PAYG is out and if it really is december then i'll be getting a k850i instead.

My k750i battery hardly lasts 48 hours and the center control button is on its last legs.

Pretty shocking from O2 showing the prices (which im prepared to pay!) and then saying december! WTF!

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

youre lucky! after selling my 1st gen iphone on ebay, ive switched to my old SE Z200, and the battery lasts 3 hours :cool:

10. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Yea, it was pushing it paying near £400 for a phone and this delay pushes my money somewhere else.

11. sananda macrumors 68020

much the same thing has happened to me; my old nokia's battery clearly objects to having been left unloved for a few months!

12. MacMalv macrumors regular

Haha, he is great!! he put it on his credit card aswell!! :D:D:D

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Ordered 16GB black from the O2 site (new customer). Would have liked white...

14. MattFM macrumors newbie

Nope, I'm sticking to my guns. I'd love an iPhone, but I really can't justify the cost of a contract. I currently top up my 4 year old Sony Ericsson about £10 every 2-3 months. The leap to at least £30 a month is to big.

I'll be on the hunt for a second hand 1st gen iPhone and will pop a free O2 Pay and Go SIM in as per their suggestion.

15. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't spend much on my phone... but when working it out (any paying for the data bolt-on), the PAYG iPhone did not really seem worth it. I will not lose much money being in a contract, it just makes life easier knowing that I don't have to keep topping up - and I have a set amount of minutes without paying any more, so I may as well use them.

The thing that really got me was O2's "25p per minute for the first 3 minutes per day" policy - So, really, as I only make calls once every couple of days, I would be paying at least £1 per call for only a few mins... if ever one of my mates asked to use my phone, they could cost me £1 just telling someone when they will be home... it seems a little ridiculous.

I would like some data roaming included though in case I go abroad, but that is not to be.

16. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Absolutely not...

There isn't a chance I'll be ordering one that I am going to keep... I will wait until the PAYG phone is available and so long as the price is right I will be unlocking. By December an updated version will probably be available anyway. Surely they'll have to update at least the camera by then!!!

However, given the 14 day return policy, there is nothing preventing me from getting an iPhone to play with on Friday, providing they are in stock. I could keep this up until O2 refuse to let me get anymore... :D