UK: Woman with lingerie turned away

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by arkitect, Apr 13, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well I guess sometimes it doesn't help to "pack light"…

She could also just have been planning to do a lot of shopping — although "The Sales" are mostly over by now. ;)

BBC link…
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7996571.stm

2. bartelby macrumors Core

She had tried to gain entry previously and got a new passport because of the refusal stamp...

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I suspect with minimal clothing she was just trying to blend in with the Geordies – they wear next to nothing, even in the most inclement of weather...

newcasfan0108pa_784726c.jpg

4. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I don't get the baggage checking, though. I have been, let me see, to the UK twice, to France thrice and to Canada twice, and nobody has ever checked my baggage (unless they have an x-ray system before baggage claim). The only time they check my baggage is at customs on my return to India. :confused:

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I've had my baggage checked after returning from the US. I guess I just looked suspicious. Staggering through customs after drinking far too much free booze on the flight and clutching a large bottle of JD.

6. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

You have never had your luggage checked at Customs?
    Perhaps you just look very innocent. :)

For most frequent travellers — especially "lone" males it is quite common to be pulled over when going through the Anything To Declare Red or Green channels.

7. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I've always walked straight through the green channel as I have never had anything to declare. And nobody has ever pulled me over. Maybe I am just lucky. :p

Besides, at that point, I have already come through passport control and been granted entry to the country.

So if this woman had her baggage checked at customs, how was she turned away? Yeah, customs officers could call immigration and have her entry revoked, but I didn't think they would do that unless they found something illegal in her baggage. Questioning the woman's reasons for visiting the UK is the duty of the immigration officers and not that of customs.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've flown internationally many many times, and I've never had my baggage checked at customs. :confused:

However, I do get the random bag check before I board the airplane. I also got questioned 3 separate times at Vancouver International Airport while I was waiting for my baggage, and at Toronto Pearson Airport after arriving back from London (because they thought perhaps I had brought drugs from The Netherlands).

But after I claim my baggage, I just walk out.

9. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

She must be hot. If I was a UK border agent I'd check the hotties.