Ukraine offers satellite defence co-operation with Europe and US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Aug 17, 2008.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ukraine offers satellite defence co-operation with Europe and US

The conflict in Georgia is having a ripple affect throughout the former Soviet satellites.
    This follows an agreement with Poland as well.

So, in light of these countries eager to align with the US, my question is...
    "is the US REALLY the most hated country in the world??"

Link to story

Story

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Looks like the Russians may have overplayed their hand. What a difference a week makes.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Someone's going to have to back down in this "problem" over there. If not there will be a much wider war.

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

To be fair, Mr. Bush, you can shush. It's got nothing to do with you.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did I hear someone mention self-determination?

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm not sure strategic military alliances speak much volume about the affinity countries have for each other.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

MacDawg, I agree that the idea that the US is the most hated country in the world is a little unfair and exaggerated, but still, it's not really love of the US that's motivating these countries. It's fear of Russia (combined with the complex variables of their own internal politics). Think of it this way, these treaties are often celebrated in the countries as a means to ensure their independence, which is a little incoherent if you think about it. It really means that allying with the US is a lesser price (in their view) that allying with Russia--and those are the two options in their view. True independence is not a possibility.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think a good parallel is Yugoslavia. After WWI, the southern slavic nations banded together not because they wanted to but because they knew they couldn't remain independent on their own. The fear of a resurgent Austria along with an increasingly menacing Italy was the primary reason. "Brotherly love" had nothing to do with it.

The bigger picture isn't the US, why the OP thinks that is beyond me (paranoia?), but the EU. Russia knows that the US can do little or nothing, however, half of the EU's natural gas supply comes from Russia. That's a pretty big bargaining chip. Especially in light of the EU's inability to absorb any more members at this point in time.

Russia also wants to invest in the EU's fuel infrastructure and the EU is rightly wary of this.

I think the current conflict is comparable to the US' forays into Central and South America. In other words, little more than economic terrorism.

Pot, kettle, black, anyone?