All iPads Ultra portable Mini vs ultra capable iPad 4 for all in one lifestyle device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flavr, Nov 25, 2012.

1. flavr, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Anybody choose an iPad Mini over the more powerful iPad 4 as their primary lifestyle device/computer replacement, and why?

The iPad 4, with the X6 chip finally starts to bring in it line with actual computer class power while sharing the same retina screen as best in class laptops making it a true computer replacement and more capable all in one lifestyle device.

I know a lot of us would like to move away from a desktop or laptop to a more portable yet reasonably powerful option, this is where the Mini fell short for me. But I'd be interested to hear people's opinions why they bought the Mini as their "all in one" device over more capable iPad 4.

To me ultra portability of iPad mini doesn't work as a lifestyle device over the ultra capability of iPad 4.

2. nasa25 macrumors 65816

3. syd430 Guest

The iPad mini is not "every inch an ipad". Don't believe the marketing hype. Grab the 4 if you want the closest thing to a desktop/laptop replacement.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Before the iPad mini, the regular iPad was considered ultra portable.

5. EMAN19 macrumors 6502

I chose the iPad mini over the iPad 4 and I'm 100% happy with my decision. At the end of the day it's about what's important to you. I love the form factor of this device. Slimness, 7.9" and weight are more important to me than retina, 9.7" and A6X chip.

6. PhiladelphiaX macrumors member

It's all relative to your lifestyle. Just pick whatever you'll feel more comfortable with in the long term. I chose an iPad 4 because the mini is too small for comfort in terms of what I'm looking to accomplish out of a tablet.

17 inch Laptop serves as a stationary computer at home (almost never leaves the house)

iPad serves as a laptop for intraday travels, short travel trips, great portability, but also large enough to enjoy multimedia

iPhone serves as a very quick on-the-go device for the basic call/text/data capabilities, GPS, and general pocket device.

I find almost no need to invest in an iPad mini at this point. Although if I could afford to do so, I probably would.

7. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

iPad Mini for me. I use it for writing, social apps, drawing, reading, movies, games, utilities, News and music.

It's perfect for my needs

8. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

Haven't held a mini yet, buy when I used my Kindle paper white 's browser, I really liked the idea of something that size and weight as a portable device, of course, the Kindle is a great e reader and a horrible tablet, so for me, the mini will be my portable device, the full size iPad is great as a vacation PC but just too big for everyday carry.

9. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I finally upgraded my first gen iPad. I chose the iPad mini over the iPad 4. Why? In a word...portability. Not that the regular iPad isn't portable. But the mini is just PERFECT for travel. It slips into my coat pocket or cargo pants pocket, and I don't need to carry it in a backpack. I just love it.

The lack of a retina screen wasn't a deal breaker for me cause the screen is smaller than the regular iPad, and it looks great. Would I like a retina screen in the future? Sure. But for now, it's fine.

It seems snappy and quick too. Eventually it will get the A6 chip and a better camera. But again, it's fine for me now. The perfect travel size trumps all.

I love it.

Oh....I also transferred my unlimited AT&T data plan from my first gen iPad to the mini. The thing is like a big smartphone. It's great. ;-)