Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
First, I am not sure the problem is the Laptop, or the OS.

I have a 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2013) that has been getting slower and slower when accessing websites, whatever the browser (I usually use Chrome and Safari). I am using Wifi.

This is getting annoying, to the point where I sometimes need to either restart the Wifi or the laptop itself. I think it appeared gradually but I am 99% sure it was not there before the upgrade to Mavericks.
I made comparisons with other laptops (I also have an old 15" MBP I am using to type this message, and an iPad Air; both work much much better).

Is there any known issue I should look for ?

Thanks.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, I am thinking about a clean reinstall as well, but that will take me quite a bit of time, and if there was a way to avoid it, I would be glad to.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
You can try to remove all of the non mainstream software that you've loaded from your machine manually. However, this won't get it all, because sometime when you open a package, it installs other objects that could be part of the problem. You'll probably spend more time doing this than the reload would take.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
In that case, I would do a clean install for sure.

Though, the problem occurs only on Wifi, and not on Ethernet. To me that would make Maleware less likely, and issues with Hardware drivers more likely.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I thought of something else.

Did you ever check the speed of what your network card was working at? Maybe you have a bad card?

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
This issue is rather painful to investigate as it is not a "work / does not work" kind of thing, but more a question of time (or maybe, even just latency).

After I reboot, the machine behaves much more normally. After a few days of use, it starts to lag more and more. So the fact that it behaves more normally shortly after startup would make me rule out a purely hardware issue.

I have been thinking of upgrading to Yosemite beta, just to see. In the worst case, I will just have to re-install it all, as we discussed. I will see if I have time tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.