UltraSn0w not unlocking phone. Understanding is that Phone needs to be activated.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Drag0nscythe, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Drag0nscythe macrumors newbie

The problem is that after jailbreaking and unlocking with ultrasn04, when I put in my Tmobile sim card (which I just put the data plan on), I continue to get the message "This sim card is not support. Hook up to Itunes."

Having read around on the internet, it appears I need to activate the Iphone first, then follow the instructions to jailbreak, add unltrasn0w, then use simhelp to remove the locked folder and replace it.

Sim help link: (http://www.hackint0sh.org/f204/156937.htm)

Now, the problems are.

1. I am not sure if the phone is activated. I can access the menu to jail break it. If it is not, how can I activate it? I have an ATT sim card for use.

2. Even if not activated, when I get all the way through to ultrasn0w and finish installing it, the simhelp program will not recognize the iphone, so I cannot replace the folder.

---

On a side note, after I am done with all this, I will be able to call with the phone, text and use the internet?

Thank you.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Seems to be a rare case with some ultrasnow unlocked iphones.
    And you're the lucky one that has that prob:(

3. Drag0nscythe thread starter macrumors newbie

That can't be good.
    Well, while I have an ATT simcard, it is not activated. Putting it in the phone gives a no service signal.

Would just formating the phone and installing everything again help?

Also, I was prompted that the Iphone needed activation and that it may take some time. I just dismissed the message.

So, I am still unsure about activation.

and I ask again, will a jail broken Iphone still work with internet? (IE can I access the internet anywhere. For example when I am driving or where there is no Wifi?)

Thank you.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your phone is actvated or you would not have been able to JB and UL. Did you by any chance activate with the phonebook SIM card. Sherif Hashim of the DEV team makes mention of this problem for those who activate with the phonebook SIM card and there is a patch in Cydia for it now. Here is his tweet.
    " activation using the phonebook sim is now made easy again, just activate, add repo http://cydia.pushfix.info & install Hacktivation patch :) 11:55 PM Aug 7th via web"

5. Drag0nscythe thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I bought the iphone second hand from a friend. It was activated from them I believe. I never used a phonebook Sim card.

I wonder if that patch would help me though.

Thank you for the help on the activation problem. Let me re-jail-break and unlock again. I will post again once that is done.

6. Drag0nscythe thread starter macrumors newbie

alright. I has been jailbroken. Now I am reading about this upgrade. Looking at Cydia, before I install Ultrasn0w, would it benefit trying to mess with Pwnage Tool?

---

sorry about the double post.

Anyway, just added http://cydia.pushfix.info to Iphone and added the Tmobile IOS4 update.
    Phone is now restarting.

---

Just installed Ultrasn0w and I am not putting in a sim card yet. Just asking now is there anything else I need to worry about before I move forward.

---

Failed to work. Now I have no clue. I am thinking of paying $65 to get this to work. Someone said they would unlock it for $65 and I am getting tried of this thing not working. I have followed all guides I can find, and nothing is working. I will never get this 16GB Iphone 3G unlocked.