Um... So how do you download individual songs from the cloud in the iOS 6 Music app?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by omgwut, Sep 19, 2012.

1. omgwut, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

omgwut macrumors 6502

I have my entire music library (2,700+ songs) stored in the cloud via iTunes Match and I just updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6. I'm liking it for the most part, but I'm having an issue...

Whenever I play a song in the Music app by default now it seems to simply stream it without pulling the actual file down (even though when I navigate to Settings > General > Usage the amount of stored music listed keeps climbing...?), but there is no cloud icon next to the songs like there was in iOS 5 to tell me for sure. Previously when the cloud icon disappeared you would know you had completely downloaded a song, but now there's nothing visible either way.

I love having the option to stream, but the thing is when I want to connect my iPhone to the Pioneer stereo deck in my car to blast some tunes on the road I have to have the whole file stored locally for it to read, or else it won't play. It can't just be streaming in the background, you know? And now since I updated to iOS 6 my stereo deck isn't seeing any of the songs I'm selecting ("NO SONG"), which makes me wonder if my iPhone is even downloading them?

Has anyone figured this out, short of tapping the cloud icon for the entire album? I would like to download individual songs and not the entire albums, for reasons of both bandwidth and storage, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks!

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Go to ITunes, then Purchased. I think it only works for music you actually got through iTunes, though.

You can always do a sync.

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Playing a song download it for me.
    How did you get it to stream?

4. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't do anything, I'm just not seeing anything that tells me its downloading the file. Used to be while a song was playing from the cloud I could open the iTunes app and go to the Downloads tab, and there was the song (or a list of multiple songs) with a status bar of the download(s) in progress.

I'm just playing a bunch of songs one at a time from the Music app and going to the same Downloads tab in the iTunes app, and nothing is showing up now in iOS 6.

There's no useful cloud icon next to each song that disappears as soon as it finishes downloading to tell me I've got the file locally anymore.

I'll play a song start to finish to make sure I've got the file but my stereo deck doesn't see it anymore when my iPhone is plugged into it.

Settings > General > Usage DOES tell me the size of all of my locally stored music is going up as I play more songs, so it seems like they are downloading but I'm just confused, they're not acting like it anymore.

Blehhh. :[

5. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Go to setting>music and set show all music to off, that should tell you what has been downloaded.

6. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I did that. It is downloading some songs. I still don't know what to do about my stereo deck not recognizing them. Thank you for your help though!

Also, is there no way to delete individual songs anymore either? In iOS 5 you could swipe your finger across them and press the red DELETE button, now I have to trash the whole thing in settings?

I do like some of the additions here but Apple took a few steps back in the usability department with this thing.