Umax Driver Update

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
I emailed Umax again asking if they are still working on OS X drivers for my Astra 6400 scanner. Today I got the following back:
From Umax Technical Support [support@umaxcare.com]
9.2, 9.2.1, 9.2.2 and OS X drivers are currently under development. No release date has been set for these drivers. As soon as the drivers are released, they will be on our web site for a free download.
www.umax.com

We are very sorry for the delay.
If you have any other questions, you may contact technical support at 214-739-1915.
Monday – Friday
9am – 5pm

Thank You
Well, at least they admit to still working on them!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'm still waiting on HP for their ScanJet driver updates too... it's now well past 12 o'clock, Stevie... crack the whip on these guys! ;)

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
Astra 6400

Hey I emailed them back in December and got the same reply because I have that scanner. Don't count on them coming out anytime soon.

groov'

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2001
Netherlands
may

On different sites (don't remember where) they mentioned "somewhere in may" for drivers for the 'cheap' Umax scanners.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
UMAX and Mac

Umax scanners and Mac's have had a reasonably good relationship for quite a while...so much so, that I picked Umax scanners for our educational technology suggested systems price page for our district.

I recently bought a new (low end) Umax for our ed tech lab and attempted to find the drivers on their site to connect it to the QuickSilver "teaching" station. Not only was the driver software declared "in beta and unsupported" for the Mac, it didn't even install when I downloaded it...just simply crashed the computer.

I usually give things a few chances, but when it starts becoming a hassle, I'll look for another solution entirely. I took Umax off of our recommended price page and replaced it with the Canon line.

Buh bye, Umax. :mad:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
It is kind of disappointing to see that OS X still lacks support for a whole list of items people still use: Scanners, some printers, and even a few CD-RWs.

Lucky me, OS X supports my Epson 880 and my Lacie CD-RW :) .

Seriously, there really should have been more incorporated drivers into the software, or at least more free drivers up and running people can download.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Hemingray
I'm still waiting on HP for their ScanJet driver updates too... it's now well past 12 o'clock, Stevie... crack the whip on these guys! ;)
Your not the only one, I bought quite an expensive scanner from HP + I still cant use it in OSX!