UMB disks on 13" MBP override 1.5 SATA HD glich?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by California, Jun 14, 2009.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

This probably won't work --

but why can't someone try to use a UMB install disk on a 13"UMBP to over ride the 1.5 Sata hd glitch?

You know...

nearly 100 hits on this thread and no comments?

I am sorry to sound snobby but in the old days on MR there were actual engineers and people who knew about coding on these boards.

What I am saying is that if the hardware is the same, and everyone who knows anything about Mac revisions on their install discs, they know that different speeds still get the same install discs of the same revision of computer --

then why wouldn't the install disks or something in the software on the Unibody MBooks work on the Unibody MBpros and get rid of the 1.5 Sata cap on the hard drives?

OR why not swap out a UMB hd into a new UMBP and see what happens?

IF it is a software issue, that is.

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

I suggested this in the monster thread and got yelled at. I tried it and It's still 1.5.

3. Ashhong macrumors member

you are probably being ignored because there really is no point to this thread. what was wrong with posting in the main SATA thread?

your suggestion was answered in like the first couple pages of that thread. its not a simple "software glitch". you cant just alter hardware settings with drivers. people have put in sata2 drives and it makes no difference.

4. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

It would be a good idea if it was a matter of drivers, but it isn't. The software you're talking about are drivers. This is a firmware issue, and firmware isn't included in OS install disks. It's there (on the device) by default, and in some cases can be updated. The problem with messing with it is that you could actually brick your device - in this case logic board - while messed up drivers aren't nearly as problematic.

5. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Thanks for the first concrete answer to this question that I have heard.

So, who would we contact to find out if this is a glitch on Apple's part or a fixable issue?

Who would have the knowledge to answer this question?

6. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

apple. they are the only ones who would know whether this cap was done on accident or on purpose

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not sure why you keep refering to it as a glitch. You have no idea if it is a glitch if it is working as designed. I guess you'll have wait for Apple to respond to this before you know if it is a glitch.

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What chipset are the MBPs running.
    Some chipsets limit the capabilities when in a (m) mobile application

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

So I assume no one would have the cajones to try to put the uMB firmware on the 13" uMBP out of fear of bricking their laptop?

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Good luck getting that to work.